Print Journalism

<p>How does it compare to other schools? Is it a good program? Thanks!</p>

<p>Also, I understand there is no grades. Do this hurt the chances for graduate school and what do they exactly do? Thanks!</p>

<p>I have a son entering his 4th yr at Hampshire, and a daughter who is entering this Fall. I don’t know how well their journalism classes compare to other colleges, but you should know that Hampshire grads have one of the highest rates of acceptance into grad schools. That is because an undergrad degree from Hampshire represents work similar to that done in most grad programs (developing a concentration, designing a plan of coursework to achieve the concentration, carrying out the plan in concert with faculty advisers, and completing a final project). </p>

<p>As for the lack of grades, Hampshire substitutes detailed written evaluations that will allow grad schools to learn more about a prospective student than a list of courses with grades next to them.</p>

<p>Thanks ALF. Hampshire is def. on my list for sure. I was just discussing Hampshire with some who goes to MHC. I heard that they have a really good English program, but that no grades actually make it a little harder when applying to graduate school.</p>

<p>Don’t go there, but looking to apply for Spring term in 2010, but from what i’ve heard when applying to graduate school…</p>

<p>a) a C in a college course doesn’t look nearly as bad as an uncomplimentary review from a professor. And vice versa, a A in a class just means you somehow completed the work. An outstanding review from a prof is in turn quite a bit better than a good letter grade
b) often when applying, Grad school admissions staff will often “assign” their own version of a letter grade to your review. They get a much better picture of what sort of student you are from personal evaluations versus a numerical value. Many liberal arts schools do not assign traditional grades, Grad schools are no stranger to this. You aren’t penalized for it. And 92% of Hampshire graduates get into their top two choices for graduate schools. (generally Ivy league, too)</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, so your saying it’s worse in the long term?</p>

<p>No, no i mean’t that i don’t go there so i can’t give you a first hand account, but from what their website and some students have told me…</p>

<p>And it’s a very individualized school. You have to be abel to manage yourself with a whole lot of structure, which can either help you in applying for Grad school if you do well, or hurt you if you don’t. But that’s the same for any college.</p>

<p>Ok, thanks lamp!</p>

<p>No problem! Sorry for the spelling/grammar errors, was in a hurry!</p>

<p>It’s ok, spelling/grammer are never my best subject. I prob. didn’t even notice it, lol.</p>