Pros/Cons of Joining the Corps of Cadets

<p>Next year I'll be an undergraduate freshman at Texas A&M. About a year ago I became interested in joining the Corps of Cadets as well as doing Army ROTC at Texas A&M. </p>

<p>I've wanted to join the Army since I was a kid, I've just never pursued it seriously (or received the encouragement) until I was a HS Junior. I felt the military was lacking Muslims with cultural and linguistics skills, so I wanted to use my skills to not only serve my country, but to also show folks American Muslims aren't bad people. Plus I'm kinda sick of the stereotype going around my family that only private sector lawyers, doctors, and engineers are successful careers. It's seriously having a bad influence on my younger cousins and I feel like they need a role model that encourages them to broaden their futures. </p>

<p>I've shadowed a few of my Corps friends on campus and I've really liked how disciplined and active their lives are. Overall I want to do something new in college and I want to get a challenge out of it, I feel the Corps is that challenge.</p>

<p>However almost everyone I've spoken to has advised me to rethink my plans at A&M. My mom says the Corps will take away time for me to study (I am double majoring in Poli Sci and Econ so she does have a point) My dad isn't too keen on me doing anything military due to discrimination. (again its not an irrational fear) A few of my friends have been telling me I'm joining for the wrong reasons; I should enjoy college not work my tail off in the corps; I'm wasting my potential; ect. </p>

<p>I feel like I have the right intentions of joining I just want to know if I fully understand what I'm getting into.</p>

<p>I am not a cadet, but speaking with my cadet friends I can tell you that they definitely get alot of time to study, in fact they have study/quiet hours every day I believe. It is an immense challenge physically and mentally and can take a toll on you. I have met one cadet however that was successfully taking over 20 hours… which I found insane but he found it possible. Cadets have some time to enjoy themselves, they join clubs and are active in things like Century Singers so it won’t be a total time eater or waste of time</p>

<p>You’re the only one who can decide if the Corps is a good fit for you. If you choose the Corps, there will be people who don’t understand it, because it’s not for them, but you might find that with almost any decision in life. For instance, take the example of a personal injury lawyer; some people see the value in that profession and others don’t. The question is what fits you the best.</p>

<p>Did you try Spend the Night with the Corps? I think there is still time.</p>

<p>I have spent the night with the corps I absolutely enjoyed it</p>