PSA: California has now expanded CalFresh benefits to all students eligible for work-study

It used to be that if you didn’t participate in work-study or got your own job that you were ineligible for CalFresh benefits. But the program has been expanded for covid. Work-study is not based on your parents overall household income, but the EFC (Expected Family Contribution). I think you have to have an EFC of $20,000 a year or lower, but don’t quote me on that.

I hope someone clarifies. Federal Work Study is an award given to students with financial need…determined by each college. IIRC, there isn’t an exact income cutoff…because students could have financial need at a pricey school, but not an inexpensive one.

Perhaps this is being awarded for students who have already received a work study award?

This is from the website:

Additional exceptions to student rule because of COVID-19

The Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021 expands the exception for work study to any student eligible to participate in a state or federally financed work study during the regular school year, as determined by the school. While this exception is in effect, it is no longer required that students be approved for work study and anticipate working. [ACL 21-11.] CDSS has temporarily changed the work study verification letter to reflect this change.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021 adds an exception to the CalFresh student rule for students who have a zero dollar expected family contribution. [Id.] This is determined by information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application. The California Student Aid Commission determines who has a zero dollar expected family contribution. Verification can include, but is not limited to, a letter from the California Student Aid Commission confirming a zero dollar expected family contribution, a student’s Student Aid Report or a financial aid offer letter. [Id.] The California Student Aid Commission will send all students with a zero dollar expected family contribution an informing letter about this new exception to the CalFresh student rule.

The way notice came to me was that it was a “To Do” in my portal that I had to accept or decline the letter, and then the letter was emailed to my student account. So it may not arrive in the postal mail as a letter.

That’s what I thought…”as determined by the school”. It’s not a firm income or EFC cutoff.

1 Like