PSA - Program for System Admissions

And just like that he went on-line and picked a room and a roommate. He only looked at three profiles?! I’m in shock. He picked someone who studies because he said he will need to study a lot, LOL! I hope so! He picked Jetty Hall.

@JaceyK and @Scotsfi were you told there is no tuition deposit at TAMUCC? Other schools that my son was accepted to have sent emails saying we would have to pay a tuition deposit to hold his place at the school. I thought it was strange this wasn’t the case at TAMUCC. So, I called the business office and they do not require a tuition deposit.

@omgdontblink I don’t think there is one. My son is registered at NSC and has dorm lease signed. Not sure what else there is to do. Just hope he isn’t too late on the date we selected for the NSC.

@JaceyK he is signed up for June 3rd. Hoping he will get all of the proper classes he needs.

@OMGdontblink we signed up for June 28th. It was only feasible date we could pick…bright side, we are vacationing in Rockport for the week of July 4th so we get to go earlier :slight_smile:

@OMGdontblink @JaceyK We too are headed to Islander Launch ( New Student Orientation ) for 3rd June. We have now signed dorm lease but were wondering about tuition deposit - so appreciate that update.

@scotsfi and @omgdontblink FYI - just in case your kid missed the email, my son received an email from TAMU CC’s William Coari with an important message about PSA.

"If you are going to attend Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC) in the PSA program and your PSA plan requires one of the following classes, you must take it during the summer.

ANTH 2302
SPC 1315
COMM 1307

TAMU-CC does not offer these classes and College Station will not substitute."

@JaceyK Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: We did receive this heads up email.

@daleNchip, maybe taking 12 hours the first semester will be a blessing in disguise. My son is a Freshman Blinn Teamer this year and is taking 12 hours and doing really well with that course load. I can’t tell you how many posts I have read on the A&M Parent FB page about Freshman kiddos struggling mightily with their classes and feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. A lot of the parents respond that taking a lighter class load is sometimes the key to a successful first year. You just never know how your child will do as a Freshman. Many, many very smart and hardworking kids have a very hard time assimilating into college and taking 12 hours may be what sets him up for success.

@JaceyK I will ask him to check his email. Thanks for the heads up.

@ATXAggie, yes, you gotta know your own kid and help him/her adjust accordingly. The 12 hours suggested for my kid were not going to be enough to keep him “just busy enough”–they were going to give him too much time on his hands, which is no better for my son than having too many hours of classes. After talking with us and–separately–with his PSA advisor, he adjusted his schedule to better fit his overall needs. He settled on 12 hours, but a better set of classes than his original 12 hours. I am trying to get the message across to him that this semester and this first year are both part of a marathon, not a sprint. He needs to be looking at the big picture.

For all you PSA Parents, if you are on FB, search for the closed group Aggie Parents.

It is a closed group of parents only of CStat Aggies, Blinn Team, Blinn Engineering Academy, Gateway, PSA, McAllen, and any A&M Engineering Academy.

It is a great resource for parents of Aggie of all ages, From all things for new Aggie’s and parents, to Ring Day, Graduation and beyond.

I have seen some posts from PSA parents already that are at Tarleton, WT A&M. there may be the other schools but I have not paid that close attention.

@JaceyK @scotsfi My son did not receive the email that you mention above. Did it go to their Islander email? Yesterday he did get an email to his Islander email giving him detailed instructions for picking his classes and making his schedule prior to orientation. Mr. Coari sounds very thorough! We are finding that our son has very few options for classes on the PSA plan due to dual credit and AP classes. We come up with 14 hours per semester and pray they are available each semester.

@Thelma2, the A&M Parent Facebook group I am a member of is not open to PSA parents. You maybe referring to a different one though.

@OMGdontblink We looked at the FYLCP options first then added in an English class and Life/Physical Science class. Are you able to see a copy of what a typical TAMU student’ schedule would look like during their first 4 semesters in your son’s desired major? Maybe this may open up more class possibilities? …but it looks like you’re making good progress if you can find 14 hrs per semester.

@scotsfi My son is Applied Mathematics major with very little wiggle room in his degree plan. Almost all required courses that build from the prior year and hardly any electives outside the math school. We are filling in the gaps with the philosophy and creative arts requirements. Glad we can take those at TAMUCC otherwise we would be in trouble. So thankful his school did not offer the Govt dual credit this year. That saved us. He also has too many credits to participate in most of the FYLCP, so he will have to be put in an independent FYLCP.

@ATXAggie Yes, it is a different one than you belong to. I used to support that group but I can no longer.
When Aggie parents are asked to donate money so one person can moderate it because they don’t want to do it for free anymore and have to pay a $20 fee for some of the most requested things at certain times of the year, the focus isn’t what it was. No Aggie Parent should have to pay a fee, just to find someone to take over their hotel room during a peak time in CStat, when all hotels have very strict cancellation policies 14-21 days from an event. With hotels increasing rates to 2-3X+ their normal rate and requiring a 2 night stay, those parents have to eat that cost if they cannot attend and need to cancel within 2-3 weeks of the date. People looking for roommate, Someone looking to fill a room in a house/apartment, or someone looking for a sub lease, all now cost a fee to post for such.

There was a rule that Aggie Parents had to be members of the page for 6 months before they could offer game tickets they couldn’t use. Parent’s who posted such items before their probation period was up, were muted or banned. That rule has now been repealed since the inception of Pay to Post.

Aggie Parents is for ALL Aggie Parents. For what it is worth, I am a new member myself, since shortly after Pay to Post came into being and un-joined the other. I am for helping all Aggie Parents and not profiting off of it.

How can you tell which is which?

Don’t suppose any of you Tarleton folks are the parents of William Burnett in Legacy? My son finally bothered to log in and check his housing. Anyone know how the A/B is assigned? Which is the front/back room?

My son requested Legacy at Tarleton but just told me he got Centennial. I’m not sure why. I just hope he’ll meet other PSA students in the “Greek Life” dorm he has zero interest in