Purdue - Fall 2022 - Deferred from EA

Daughter deferred FYE
3.89 UW
1210 SAT/30 ACT
7 AP classes
OOS

NHS, Robotics for 7 years (started in Middle School, mechanical team lead), Marching Band 4 years (with leadership exp), German national honor society, volunteering in various places, leadership roles in religious youth groups, part time job.

Has anyone who has been deferred called admissions to find out anything about timeline now for admissions?

In the deferral email, they mentioned march 31st. Not sure if some will know before that.

I called and they said anytime between now and March 31 starting mid February. Check every Friday afternoon.

6 Likes

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

My daughter got deferred for Engineering. Does anyone know what are the odds of getting admitted after being deferred ? Does Purdue fill bulk of the seats with Early Action with very little room for RD ?

Yes.

Unfortunately yes, Purdue fills the majority of the class EA for engineering and most of the other popular majors.

Does that mean if you were deferred from EA there is little chance to get in?

Hard to say. Rumor is that Purdue made far more deferrals from EA than normal. Which means by now a smaller % of class has been filled relative to prior years.

Thanks- I really hope that’s the case!

Did anyone get any email from Purdue for next steps …? after deferral ?

My S22 hasn’t received anything. However, when he reached out about submitting 7th semester grades, he got this back. FYI.

3 Likes

OOS twin sons deferred EA.

Son A: (aerospace engineering)
GPA: 4.0
ACT: 33
AP’s, Honors classes
JV Football, Cross Country, Track & Field
beta club, mountain bike club, lifeguard job

Son M: (mechanical engineering)
GPA: 3.7
ACT: 29
AP’s, Honors classes
Cross country, Track & Field, founded high school mountain bike club, 2.5 yrs working at cycle shop

They claim they do but I believe they overfilled in EA and regretted it last year. This year they seem to have deferred more people and will give the RD people the opportunity to fill some spots.

I’ve heard a similar narrative. Over admitted last year, very cautious this year, and the total # of EA admits is down significantly compared to last year.

1 Like

Where have you seen the number of EA applications? I heard they were up 20% this cycle but haven’t seen anything official from Purdue.

I believe the EA apps were up but donno the numbers. In my previous post, I was talking specifically about the # of admitted students coming out of EA. Someone in the know mentioned that the total # of admits coming out of this EA cycle is far less than last years. That’s why you have more deferrals and eventually perhaps more admits from Deferred/RD pool than in previous years.

Time will tell.

Pro flight, nursing, and vet nursing are already closed for the Fall though. The good news is that they haven’t announced that FYE or CS are closed yet for incoming freshman, just for transfer students.

Does anyone know if a deferral for cs is a soft rejection or is there still a decent chance to get in during the rd round?