Purdue housing- Hawkins Hall for freshman

My daughter is an incoming freshman at Purdue - she received her housing assignment and it appears to be in Hawkins Hall . She was disappointed as it appears to be far from the engineering school and has no dining hall. I was also surprised to see that this hall is traditionally for upperclassmen. Anyone have any insight as to how she ended up in this dorm? She had not ranked it as one of her choices when registering for housing.

Probably because they have more incoming freshman than available housing. https://www.jconline.com/story/news/local/purdue/2018/07/13/purdue-dorm-residence-hall-overcrowding/780449002/

@Tigermomnot Are you part of the Purdue Parents’ Face Book Group? If not, you may want to join. There were lots of discussions about the housing challenges. I read that there are a number of freshman being housed in Hawkins this year. My daughter is a triple that was converted into a quad. As the above poster said, more students accepted their spots (higher yield which is awesome for the University) than they expected.

Thanks for the info ! I’ll check it out!

I sent this article to my daughter - no she feels lucky !