Purdue Polytechnic CIT vs Penn State undecided

Currently I am a senior in high school and I am considering these two colleges. I have applied to Purdue’s CIT program and have applied to Penn States Undecided program. I have gotten accepted in to both. I am leaning more towards Purdue at the moment but I heard from a Purdue student that CIT is not that good and that made my parents hassled and now they do not want to consider Purdue as an option and would rather me going to Penn State (as of right now). Is this true? If their is any advice anyone can give me on this to help me decide, that would be greatly appreciated. I thank in advance.

Not as good as what? If you were hoping to do CS and got your second choice major at Purdue, then I would do a deep dive on the four year plan of study and the first destination survey to see where the CIT grads go in industry. If CIT was your first choice, congrats and I wouldn’t second guess yourself based on hearsay.

I know nothing about Penn State’s process for moving from an undecided major to a potentially impacted major but hopefully someone else here will chime in.

CIT was my first choice when I applied to Purdue, and my second choice was Data analytics and technology applications. I never applied for CS at Purdue knowing it is a very hard course to get into and I was never very found of a full blown CS course. I also know nothing much about Penn States process but I would be enlightened to know as much as possible.

You mentioned the first destination survey…would you mine explaining what that actually is?

Regarding to the “not as good”, my family is saying in a way that the degree at the polytechnic institute would be worse than a degree from Penn state after I declare what I want to do at Penn state. Is this true?

Your degree will be from Purdue University. Polytechnic is just one of the divisions of the university. No different than the College of Engineering.

Here’s the link to the first destination survey. It’s a compilation of where Purdue graduates go for their first jobs. You can sort it by college and major and see salary trends, biggest employers, etc…Purdue CCO

Yes, that is exactly what I thought about the majors and that is exactly what I told them. I will definitely check out this survey.

What would you say about the Purdue polytechnic school in general compared to something like RBS or Penn State?

Thanks in advance. This makes everything clearer.

The survey keeps giving me an error message I hope this is is just a today thing lol. Is this happening to you too?

The link works for me.

If you can’t get it to open, contact the career office directly. They will happily give you the information: (765) 494-3981

https://www.cco.purdue.edu/Students/WhatWeOffer?tab=AboutTheCCO

PSU wasn’t on my D’s list so I can’t speak at all to their program.

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully someone else chimes in!

@momofboiler1 is the guru on all things Purdue.

I would just say - that your parents assertion that Penn State is better than Purdue (any division) or Nebraska or Idaho or Alabama or name your state flagship is just wrong.

Penn State is wonderful. So is Purdue. I know someone who went to Penn State’s Cyber Security and couldn’t find a job at least for 9 months. There are no guarantees at any school. I bring this up because everyone says PSU has the best alumni. Perhaps - but perhaps not.

If you wanted CIT and you got in vs. undecided - then, short of something else like finances (added expense), why wouldn’t you study what you want?

@momofboiler1 i’m getting the same error too on two browsers. Perhaps OP needs to wait a day - the database may be down.

Anyway, back to your parents OP - no school is perfect and all have their shortfalls - but I can’t imagine there’s a discernible overall difference between Purdue and Penn State - except Penn State is large geographically and has a dairy (Purdue might too - I don’t know)- but the dairy was the highlight of our tour day - of which we couldn’t take advantage as the line was too long). In my opinion, both campuses are different - but very nice.

In the end, at one - you can study what you want. At the other - you may not be able to. So that should be enough right there to decide.

Otherwise - the other difference is - do you want to say: Boiler Up Or - We are Penn State!! The shorter phrase is more fun!!

Good luck to you!!

haha thank you so much for the input on this.

haha thank you so much for your input on this.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.