PVI ??!

Hello, so today I heard that one of my friends got their Presidential Scholarship Initiative info today, and that they have been selected as one of the recipients.

I know that you don’t have to apply and everyone is automatically “Applied” for this scholarship I guess, but I also thought that I would have a high chance at PSI award (Not trying to be cocky or anything, it’s just because I know people who had far inferior stats compared to me who got this award)

So I was wondering if I didnt get it because(Excluding the possibility I was just not good enough):

1. Because I am not a permanent resident, but have applied for a permanent residency status change?
  2. My Financial situation was good enough? I dont think so, but I said 70k on my FAFSA report
  3. The notifications come by mail / email / something but not all on the same date and I have just not gotten it yet.

Again, not trying to come off as cocky and say “I deserve the PSI Award with my stats” but its just more like I am curious as I would really want a full ride to Tech if possible.

Taken from the Financial Aid website: “The Virginia Tech Presidential Scholarship Initiative (VTPSI) is a competitive scholarship program designed to offset the costs of college for in-state Virginia high school students with significant financial need. Through the Virginia Tech Presidential Scholarship Initiative, a maximum of 50 Virginia residents per year will be awarded…”

Are you considered considered an in-state student? If no, then that would disqualify you. If yes, then your permanent residency status might not have an impact.

Additionally, having a 70k income probably does not qualify you as someone with “significant financial need”. Just an opinion, but I don’t think you mean to say that having a 70k income is a bad thing and that your financial situation is better if it’s lower!

These scholarships can really be a long shot. With a total of 14,000+ students being offered admission, and a big chunk of those being in state students, 50 scholarships is a really tiny percentage.

You’re probably not Pell grant eligible. I’m not either.