Queen's University - Class of 2027 Admission Decisions/Waitlist/

Place to get any discussion going re Queen’s admissions for international students applicants

1 Like

#ElonsOldStompingGrounds

Has anyone received an admissions decision from Computing or from Commerce yet?

No, still waiting. We drove by this place once in August and saw what looked like queen’s frosh, doing backflips into the lake. Son was impressed.

1 Like

DD applied back in October to Arts and Sciences. I’ve heard that sometimes admissions decisions can run into late April-May timeframe. I know that most of DD’s other schools require a commitment decision by May 1st so I’m hoping it doesn’t take that long.
Has anyone heard anything about sending in midyear transcripts or any other communication from admissions? It’s such a different process from her other US schools.

My son uploaded his mid year grades to the portal.

my son sent his updated mid year transcript with his first semester grades, through from his high school, to the major Transcript service called Parchment, and Queen’s then uploaded the transcript from Parchment. Did your son not have first semester final grades from his high school, i.e. were the course grades full year, and so he uploaded instead his mid-term marks ? Just trying to figure out why my son did something different than apparently your son.

yes deposits due May 1st, and the marketing they are bombarded with from top tier u.s. schools they’ve been accepted to is constant while we wait for feedback from Queen’s but Queen’s has stated they try to get U.S. decisions out earlier. Did your son use the so called 105 or something to apply to Queen’s or the Common App? We didn’t realize the common app was availalbe to utilize until too late, Queen’s is the only school in Canada that takes the common app i think, could be wrong.

We used the 105 application, and her solus to do list just says to upload a transcript by 4/30/23. I think she was intending to wait until closer to that date but I’m not sure if that would defer their decision.

same, but just trying to figure out what other posters son did, when she says uploaded to the portal… does that mean uploaded a version of midterm grades, or self reported grades received by the student or uploader from the school, or does that mean school sent direct to queens via parchment or similar. or for you too? We also saw that final transcript or some such thing due to upload at some later point, but basically Canadian schools are still focused on grade 12 grades, b/c that’s all they actually look at, as opposed to US schools most of which make their early decisions which is now the bulk of it for elite schools, without even ever even catching a whiff of grade 12 grades, before 75 % of their classes are filled with Early Decision kids, those all hinged entirely on grades 9 through 11 grades, plus act/sat scores - in this regard the systems could not be more polar opposite, cdn system allowing for kids to have every chance in the world, even if they did horrible in grades 9 through 11, to wipe slate clean with grade 12.

US system is completely the opposite it appears. If you trip up in grade 9, for instance maybe you get two or three B’s or C’s, you’re all but out of the process for the elite schools, that will lower your GPA enough, to be outside the top 10 percentile of GPAs, they’re looking at - they simply have too many applications with top 2 percent GPAs with course of rigor, that outside of that you’re out, particularly now in a world that has de-weighted the test scores to boot. As far as how Canadian schools look at their Canadian applicants, that standard of booting those with bad grade 9/10 grades, simply does not apply, period. That said, they reserve the right to apply the US standard, to US students, and they are loosely quoted as saying they do that, but its opaque enough to be unclear exactly if they actually are looking at Grade 9/10/11 GPAs, or they are not, and they’re focused on TOP 5 or 6 grades in most senior classes plus pre-requisities, an unheard of proposition in the U.S. - In the U.S. this raises the stakes for each grade, each class a child enrolls in, starting with grade 9, which I think basically means that the hyper competitive set dare not try any elective or class, no matter how interesting, if the grade curve of said class is in question - quite sad state

I certainly appreciate the Canadian school practice of giving students the chance to improve through their senior year. It also seems like a more straightforward process in that there’s a clear standard gpa expectation that applicants can measure themselves against. My DD was surprised that she didn’t have any essay or recommendation requirements so all she really submitted was her application and transcript.

She had her guidance counselor submit her transcript through the online document submission form. I’ll advise her to send her current grades ASAP, and then her final grades when available.

its refreshing… for the Ivy’s you have to literally craft an image, and figure out what kind of cancer cure/first chair viola player/with a 5.0 weighted, they’re looking for, who commits early decision. Its a world set up for consultants, and curated resumes of a life well lived, and with such awareness for a top half of one percenter, as a 16 and a half year old. ya right

1 Like

My son uploaded a pdf copy of his transcript with fall grades directly to the portal. He originally applied with the common app.

My son is still waiting for a decision from Queens. Anyone else? Do they usually give an answer by May 1 or will I probably have to pay a deposit and housing deposit at a US school while I continue to wait.

Would recommend calling them or using their email, they are very helpful. I received my offers on two separate dates and I was told I need to commit by May 1, but I’m sure you could ask for an extension if you hear back close to that date…

Thank you.