Question about Admission into Engineering school

Hi all! I have a quick question. So i took AP Chem in my sophomore year of high school and I did not do so well as it was my first AP Class and honestly one of the hardest classes i’ve taken. Unfortunately I ended with a C in the class. Im scared that this is going to affect my admission into Purdue Engineering bc I know that they really care about performance in science classes. Could this C be the reason that I get deferred? I would really appreciate if anybody could give me some feedback if they’ve been in a similar experience or have any insight at all! Thanks

What year will you be in this coming academic year, and, if you apply, will you be an in-state or OOS applicant?

i will be a senior and OOS

If your other STEM classes in HS are fine, don’t worry about the grade from sophomore year. Also, don’t worry about a deferral at this point.

Talk to your guidance counselor early in the Fall Semester to discuss any potential issues, as well as potential admissions strategies.

Here is a link to the Purdue Data Digest, https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/, under the link for “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations”. It is interactive, so you can input the parameters that most apply to you (for example, you would be “Non-Resident” under the “Residency” tab). Based on your input, the Data Digest will generate information and create some graphs/charts which may provide some useful information for you.

If you have good rigor and grades in the rest of your transcript, solid ACT/SAT, and ECs, I don’t think the C will kill your application. That said, if another component of your application is weak, you may raise some red flags.

@gandalf78 @momofsenior1 thank you guys so much I’ve been stressing about college non stop for the last 2 months and this has given me some assurance!