Question about Chem 1035/1045

<p>I've heard that the grades for Chem 1035 and Chem 1045 are combined. Sort of like Physics 2305 and the Physics 2305 lab are combined. Do any of you know how that is done, if it even is?</p>

<p>I guess it may vary on the professor…but mine, and I’m guessing with everyone, are separate grades entirely. A normal situation is that you have a professor teaching your lecture, and a graduate student teaches the lab section. The lecture (3 credit hours), GPA is weighed more heavily then the labs (1 credit hour).</p>

<p>I don’t remember it being set up that way. You’d probably get the best answer from a 1035 professor.</p>

<p>Even though a graduate student does teach the chem lab, what about physics lab of the 2nd semester of freshman engineering? Aren’t those taught by T.A.s as well? I know that when I registered for classes, I had to register for a 4 credit physics lecture and a 0 credit lab. I was thinking that chemistry altogether was 4 credits and the lab and lecture are combined, like this:</p>

<p>Out of 4 credits, the lecture is 3, which makes that 75% of the total credits. The lab is 25% of the total credits. So the final grade for each class is taken according to percentages and combined for an overall score. Maybe it isn’t done like that. That is just a thought.</p>

<p>Chem 1035 and 1045 are completely separate courses, the lab (1045) is run by TAs and doesn’t have to be taken at the same time as the lecture. In fact, VT doesn’t have enough room for everyone to take the lab their first semester, so it’s possible that you’ll take it in the spring.</p>

<p>Physics is different, you’re required to take the lab at the same time as the course. The grade you get in your lab will impact your grade in the course as well, so if you get a 98 in the lab and a 89 for the lecture part, you’ll get a 4.0 in a 4-credit course (this differs from the chemistry setup where you’d end up getting a B+ or something for 3 credits and then an A for the remaining 1 credit).</p>