Question about housing at UA

<p>BamaMom2Be – if for some reason she does end up having to share this room that was intended as a single, it would be reasonable to request that UA Housing provide an additional free standing wardrobe in the room – as they do in Somerville where there are only two closets but three occupants – so that each occupant has access to a reasonable amount of closet space.</p>

<p>Well, my daughter probably doesn’t NEED a lot of what she takes down with her. :slight_smile: However, over the past two years in single rooms, she’s gotten used to having enough space to take everything she wants.</p>

<p>This is the child who takes the 6’ bookshelf from her bedroom at home, breaks it down, packs up all her books, and sets it back up in her dorm room every year. The bookshelf and books now spend their summers in her boyfriend’s off-campus apartment in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>We live less than 3 hours away, so she only has one season’s worth of clothes with her at a time. But it’s amazing how much more stuff seems to end up down in her dorm room throughout the year. We manage to fit it in 2 cars going down, but somehow it takes 3 cars to get it all back home again in the spring.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestion about the free-standing wardrobe. That would definitely help the clothing storage situation. My daughter has a LOT of clothes, but she’s very good at shopping the Kohl’s clearance rack and using a 15-30% off coupon on top of that. She became a very savvy shopper once I made her responsible for creating her clothing budget (with a little parental input) when she started high school.</p>

<p>We don’t want to raise my daughter’s bed too far off the ground. She did that her freshman year in Ridgecrest South and actually fell out of the bed at least once. (Yes, she apparently inherited my klutziness.) :)</p>

<p>I just feel sorry for all the poor freshmen who are being put in rooms with upperclassmen who thought they had been assured a single room. Your first time away at college should be a fun, exciting experience. No freshman should have to worry that their roommate will give them a rough time for something that’s beyond their control.</p>

<p>I really do hope they can work things out before move-in days so everyone can move right in to a single room or a room that was designed to serve as a double. I want all these incoming freshmen girls to get their year off to as wonderful a start as Abby was able to her freshman year.</p>

<p>Some of these off campus housing options did not seem safe at all. Are these apartments student exclusive or is it open to locals too? Cause I don’t know about that…</p>

<p>The closet space will be just fine. My daughter just finished her first year at the other UA, Arkansas. Her closet was around 4.5 square feet. She made it through the year just fine and had all she needed. Would she have liked more space? Sure. But what she had was adequate. A couple of totes on top of the closet and a couple under the bed and she was fine.</p>

<p>Bumping this up because we just got notice that Housing is also going to be increasing the occupancy of the larger single bedroom units in Bryce Lawn, where the bedrooms are even smaller than The Highlands. Supposedly the situation will be temporary. What a pain for the freshmen who end up having to move mid-semester without any help!</p>

<p>My daughter also has been informed a Freshman has been added to her room also! She had picked a larger room too. She also has a housing scholarship and picked a single room so she would be able to close the door and practice her clarinet without disturbing the other roommates. I also talked to Alicia Browne and Steve Hood but got no where! I suggested that they make their living room into a bedroom since it is suppose to be “temporary”. My daughter is so upset and I dont know who else to complain to about getting this situation resolved!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I would contact them again and say that you know that some upperclass NMF females have been offered money to move off campus…so their spots are opening up. Your D should get one of those spots.</p>

<p>Sounds like Housing is scrambling trying to make things work. I’m starting to feel a bit guilty about D (second year student with no housing scholarship) staying on campus. Housing sent out the email about The Lofts (and one of her roomies has the housing scholarship) but it just seemed a little late to try to figure out other arrangements (plus she and one of her roomies are in Oxford and not really paying attention to life back here).</p>

<p>DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about staying on campus!!! It is your right to do so, and since it was a kind of lottery system for returning students, it wasn’t anything in particular that you did to ‘get’ the room in the first place.</p>

<p>No, but I think we can safely say that Housing set too many rooms aside for returning students (without housing scholarships). Of course, we initially told we could stay on campus in Honors housing for all 4 years if we wanted to. Anyway, I feel badly for the incoming frosh who are being squeezed into rooms. I’m sure it will all work out.</p>

<p>My daughter, a rising junior, has the housing scholarship and is not going to take advantage of the money offer. She doesn’t want to have to go back to a dorm after being in an apartment for a year. The emails about The Loft and scholarship credit opportunities have been very clear that it is only for one year. If she were a senior she would do it.</p>

<p>akk91366, I’m sending you a PM. I was able to negotiate successfully to get my daughter’s single room in The Highlands restored to her. That was a couple weeks ago, so I don’t know if you’ll have the same success. But I’ll share with you what we did.</p>

<p>However, only a couple days after that, we received an email from housing that rising senior females were being offered the value of their housing scholarship to move off-campus. </p>

<p>There’s a chance we may be able to send my daughter to study in Australia second semester, so I didn’t want to lock into anything for the full year. We luckily found out that a friend of hers from high school still had a room available in the house his parents own down there. So now she’s thrilled to be living in an actual house. So we took advantage of the special offer.</p>