Question about impact of College-level English class on A-G reqts

I want to know what the impact is for a sutdent taking a community college english class on the UC-specific A-G requirement for area B. I know the CSUs count the 1-semester class as a 2-semster credit for English. I know on the application, the UC system gives 1-semester for the 1-semester. Does that mean that two college English classes have to be taken to get credit on the UC app for the full-year of English?

Also, would a college speech class count as an English class?

@Gumbymom or other admin… that’s who I’m aiming for with this question. Thank you!

When I asked this about the fine arts requirement, I was told (directly by UC) that a one semester (3 credit) fine arts class at a community college would be the equivalent of a year-long high school class and would therefore meet the “one year of a fine arts class” UC requirement. I don’t see why English (or any other subject) would be different.

1 Like

If the English course is at a community college, you can look it up at University of California A-G Course List

For the purpose of fulfilling a-g requirements, https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/subject-requirement-a-g.html says that a college English course of 3 semester or 4 quarter units satisfies one high school year of the English requirement. For frosh applicants, non-transferable courses can count only for the 9th-11th grade years; courses used to satisfy the 12th grade year must be transferable.

The 1 college course and grade = 1 course and grade for UC or 2 courses and grades for CSU is for recalculating high school GPA for frosh applicants.

2 Likes

Okay, great. So the 1-semester thing at the UCs is only for HS GPA and for A-G it counts as a full year. Thank you for your responses.

1 Like