Question about race with applications

<p>I'm the father of a set of twins who are both currently applying to a number of different schools for admission as students in the fall. Essentially, I was adopted at birth and was raised in a caucasian home. As an adult, I recently found out I was born of hispanic parents. Neither of my parents (adoptive and biological) went to college and both were of very modest upbringing. </p>

<p>Since my appearance has never really given me any specific reason to know my ethnic background, I have simply always checked caucasian boxes on all applications. My kids have done the same. </p>

<p>Considering these factors, what do I classify myself as? What do my kids classify themselves as? This could have a profound impact on financial aid and scholarships. I'd never want to put my kids college admissions in jeopardy if they were accused of claiming to be something they may not be able to prove. Can anyone shed any light on their experiences or share how schools know if these applicants are indeed what they claim to be.</p>

<p>Why would it have a profound impact on race and scholarships? Only if you are applying for race-based scholarships, but financial aid has nothing to do with race. This is the federal definition for Hispanic:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If you have never felt the need to classify yourself as Hispanic even after you found out, question why you or your kids would do it now and then decide whether you feel it’s the right decision.</p>

<p>It’s obvious that there would be more scholarships available to my children by classifying themselves that way. This thread is one example:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I do not know. </p>

<p>If you are Hispanic and your wife is not, then your children are half Hispanic as near as I can reckon.</p>

<p>Some Hispanic cultures are somewhat matriarchal, meaning that if you are half Hispanic on your mother’s side, then they claim you. </p>

<p>Some Hispanic cultures, like amongst the older generations of the Dominican Republic, have their own particular set of rules with a thing or two. </p>

<p>So, I really do not know what to tell you. You just have to go with what you feel, but do not place all of your eggs in one basket.</p>

<p>I don’t know the answer to your question, but if you’re looking at potential scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars make sure your kids choose the Hispanic designation when they fill out the demographic information on the PSAT, SAT, and any other documentation that they come across.</p>

<p>It’s okay for kids who are bi-racial to do that, doesn’t matter if the parent with Hispanic ethnicity is the mother or father.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what more might be involved. I can’t imagine it’s as simple as an honor system where only kids with Hispanic heritage are going to check that box because no caucasion kid is going to be so opportunistic as to try to pull off something like that. Peope that hand out money are usually not that naive.</p>

<p>But for starters, they need to start self-identifying themselves as Hispanic as far as test info goes. Beyond that, I can’t say. To me, it’s ethically problematic if it’s never been a part of your life or their life, in fact not even known up until now. But others will argue differently. This conversation about what does it take be considered Hispanic comes up pretty frequently here on CC. It’s the one minority designation that is r-e-a-l-l-y elastic because it’s considered cultural.</p>

<p>I know a kid who got National Hispanic Merit Scholar. One parent is Mexican, one is anglo. But the Mexican parent was born in Mexico (came to the US as a small child). This kid grew up with an entire extended family on one side that spoke Spanish (some of them spoke only Spanish), celebrated Mexican holidays, lived in Mexican communities. So obviously this kid grew up close to his Hispanic culture. On his anglo parent’s side it was a typical white, suburban culture. He kind of had a foot in two worlds. Also this kid’s Mexican ancestry is quite apparent by looking at him, although he doesn’t have a hispanic surname.</p>

<p>On the advice of our D’s HS GC, she reported as Native Hawaiian and Caucasian. D is 25% Native Hawaiian. Two of the colleges she applied to sent follow-up letters and asked us to provide additional info (aka proof). We did.</p>

<p>I would recommend checking with the GC and see if it appropriate to report (and I’m assuming here) Hispanic and Caucasian (or whatever the other parent’s ethnicity).</p>

<p>Hispanic is an ethnicity: i.e. a cultural identification. You can be any “race” and be Hispanic. You can also be any “race” and be not Hispanic. Since you weren’t raised within a culturally Hispanic family, and you don’t seem to have developed a cultural identification with the Hispanic community later on in life, you probably shouldn’t be claiming it. </p>

<p>Think of it this way: If there were a scholarship for left-handed people, and you were a normally right-handed person who one rainy day taught yourself to write with your left-hand, would you now consider yourself a legitimate candidate for that particular scholarship? Probably not.</p>

<p>OP,
I’m moving this over to the Hispanic Students subforum (under the College Admissions forum). I suggest you start reading the sticky threads on that forum about the definition of Hispanic, resources for Hispanic students, etc., as well as other threads on that forum. You’ll find current, accurate information from people who have/have had Hispanic kids going through the college application process.</p>

<p>I just noticed that you linked to the NHRP thread on this forum, so you’ve been here before, I didn’t realize that when I redirected your thread. Have you read the sticky thread about Who’s Hispanic? It’s up to you and your children if they want self-identify as Hispanic, there is no burden of proof similar to what there is with NA tribal affiliation. </p>

<p>I would really recommend that you post questions about Hispanic admissions here rather than on general forums. While well meaning, most posters don’t have experience with how admissions, special programs, merit, etc. work for URMs. If you look at the information that itsv and other posters have found and shared here, it’s readily apparent that there are no similar resources for Hispanic students anywhere else on CC. But it’s up to you, I won’t redirect any more of your threads and will send this one back to the FA & Scholarship one if you want.</p>

<p>OP
This forum has been very helpful for me and others because there is a lot of misinformation in other places. Entomom is great about directing posters to the most recent information on this. Guidance counselors and even college admissions staff can be confused because the definitions and categories for race and ethnicity have changed over time. You want to use the most up to date information. Be open about your situation; ask questions and double check definitions. Don’t be turned off by people claiming that you are taking unfair advantage of the system. You owe it to your kids to be well informed of the ethnic and racial categories used in the testing and college admissions process. Once you know how the categories are defined, you can use your best judgement for how to fill in the little boxes.
Good luck!</p>