Question for current students

<p>I'm a senior who applied to Miami Early Action. Provided I get in next week, Miami is an option I'm strongly considering. I definitely plan on living on campus my freshman year, but I have a question about living off campus. Would it be possible to live in Miami Beach and commute to campus? Is traffic a serious problem, and will I regret doing this? </p>

<p>In a word? Yes. Traffic on Route 1 is some of the worst traffic I’ve seen (and I commuted to downtown Baltimore every day this summer, so I know bad traffic). I can’t even imagine commuting from Miami Beach every day for classes. Not to mention the fact that the rent is much higher in Miami Beach proper than in Coral Gables, where the school is actually located.</p>

<p>Darn, I was kind of hoping it would be doable. I wouldn’t be paying rent as my family owns a house in Miami Beach (Alton Rd. Area), and they agreed that I could stay there if I were to attend the U. It would save some money, and my living conditions would probably be better. I guess I’ll have to look into this some more. </p>

<p>It would actually be quite a commute. Marine is correct. It would be so much traffic.</p>

<p>Whoops, double post.</p>

<p>Being a resident here in Miami all my life, I can tell you that will be the hardest commute you’d ever face. On a good day, coming from the Gables, you’ll be lucky if you get to Alton in 30-40 minutes. Early in the morning is the worst time to commute, especially from that far away. US-1 is super bad with traffic, as well as the I-95. And during rush hour, forget it you’ll be late all the time. You can always use that place though as a hangout for the weekends! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>God that sucks that you may not be able to love there. </p>

<p>Maybe try and schedule your classes so that your driving at times where most people are at work. Ie 10, 11, 2, 3, etc</p>

<p>It is doable and I know many commuters in UM that travel much further than Miami Beach. Without traffic the distance is not that bad. I go from the Gables to Miami Beach many times during the week and is around 25 min drive ( moderate traffic). My son has friends that commute as far as Kendall, Redlands,and Hollywood. </p>

<p>Thanks for your responses guys. Kind of a relief that it is a possibility. I’d feel terrible turning down the nice place in Miami Beach and forcing my parents to pay for my room and board. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure something out if I do attend. </p>

<p>Of course there is another option…if you live on campus, all of us UM parents can get to know your parents and then stay in their place on Miami beach???..LOL!!! Seriously though, good luck :)</p>

<p>Well seeing as I got my acceptance this morning attending UM is something I’m definitely thinking about. If I don’t get into WashU or Cornell, and get some merit money from the U, then Miami here I come. </p>

<p>NYsaxmom knows what she is talking about. She is the coolest mom at the U.</p>