Question on additional Bama scholarships

<p>Hi there. DD wants to attend Alabama but unfortunately, we live out of state and can’t afford the high oos tuition. She doesn’t qualify for financial aid except for loans. DD was hoping for admissions scholarships of in state tuition but her test scores weren’t good enough. Her gpa is 3.95 unweighted, lots of AP classes, ec’s and community service. She is in the top 10% of her graduating class. Act score 28, SAT 1880. With these stats she received $3,500. She needs at least another $10,000 in scholarships in order to attend Bama. I’m wondering if she has a chance at getting any other scholarships that Alabama offers or if we should just cross it off her list. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>What is her major?</p>

<p>I don’t think she’d get an additional $10k more, but some depts might give her more money. </p>

<p>How much are you willing to pay? </p>

<p>Will your D be allowed to take out Stafford student loans (5500 for frosh year)?</p>

<p>The COA is very padded.</p>

<p>Another option…if your D gets a better scholarship elsewhere, then show it to Bama and they may match it. (like one from Ole Miss)</p>

<p>What state are you from?</p>

<p>We are from Florida and with bright futures it’s hard to pass up in state tuition. Do they match scholarships from other schools. Ole Miss is on her list along with a small private college in Alabama and two in state schools. We can realistically afford $15000 but could do a little more if we want to take away from our other children’s college money:). She doesn’t want to do loans under grad if possible. She wants to save loans for graduate or medical school. Thanks for your reply.</p>

<p>^^ What do you mean by the COA is very padded? How so?</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids,
Oh my goodness, I was just reading throught the posts and saw your prayer request. I’m so sorry you are going through tough times. Lifting up prayers for you and your mother. </p>

<p>Also, for some reason I was logged onto another computer and had my daughters screen name, thus two different member names:)</p>

<p>Just trying to help while M2CK’s is busy with her mom. </p>

<p>[Estimated</a> Semester Budget](<a href=“http://cost.ua.edu/undergraduate-budget.html]Estimated”>http://cost.ua.edu/undergraduate-budget.html)</p>

<p>Note: The way it came out is the in-state amount is first and the OOS amount is second. This is PER semester too.</p>

<p>The Cost Of Attendance (COA) can be lowered by choosing less expensive housing. The $4050 amount is for the super-suites. The Dining Dollars will be refunded if you don’t use them. Save on parking if you don’t bring a car. Books can be bought used. The meal plan can be much lower in the 2nd year. There are on campus jobs too. This is how the COA is padded. You can spend a lot or not. </p>

<p>ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE PER SEMESTER FOR
2011-12 </p>

<p>Alabama Resident
Non-Resident</p>

<p>Tuition
$ 4,300.00
$10,950.00</p>

<p>College/Course Fees<br>
$365.00
$365.00</p>

<p>Dining Dollars Account
$300.00
$300.00</p>

<p>Meal Plan
$1,350.00
$1,350.00</p>

<p>Residence Hall Room
$4,050.00
$4,050.00</p>

<p>Parking Decal6 $260.00 $260.00 </p>

<p>Books and Supplies
$550.00
$550.00</p>

<p>Totals
$11,175.00
$17,825.00</p>

<p>Note: While actual expenses can vary widely from student to student the above semester budget is a reasonable estimate for the Fall 2011/Spring 2012 terms.</p>

<p>Chardo: I think by “padded” she is indicating several things.</p>

<p>1.) The first year of college (freshman year) is more expensive because the student is required to have a more comprehensive (expensive) dining plan. After the first year, the student is no longer required to have that particular plan or any dining plan. So simply choosing a less expensive dining plan saves money. Students can also eat out at less expensive venues or shop for food locally and cook. Breakfast in the dorm room, cereal and such, is always a cheaper option.</p>

<p>2.) Since COA is based on tuition, fees and room and board. You can cut the COA by simply choosing a less expensive housing option. Super suites are more expensive than regular two-person dorm rooms.</p>

<p>3.) After freshman year, students are not required to live on campus and many don’t want to. Thus the cost of housing can decrease sharply depending on which residence hall you were living in freshman year.</p>

<p>4.) Buying Texts and other required books through a discount site will save money. Some kids even rent their texts.</p>

<p>5.) Students can also cut down on costs by economizing:
a.) Not having a car on campus saves permit fees, gas money and insurance costs.
b.) Taking full advantage of the meal plan your freshman year.
c.) Save $600 yearly by not using your Dining Dollars. Ask for a refund at the end of the year.<br>
d.) take advantage of all the FREE entertainment opportunities on campus. There are
sports events, art shows, lectures, movies on the quad etc.</p>

<p>pinkturtles, in terms of other schools with nice scholarships, I would recommend that your daughter check out Mississippi State, too. Beautiful campus. Nice honors program. We got a chance to tour the school last April, and my youngest son was impressed.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>The Dining Dollars will be refunded if you don’t use them. </p>

<p>Save on parking if you don’t bring a car. </p>

<p>Books can be bought used. The meal plan can be much lower in the 2nd year. There are on campus jobs too. </p>

<p>This is how the COA is padded. You can spend a lot or not.<<<< </p>

<p>Yes…the COA includes the more costly Super Suites for $8,100. The regular suites are about $5,000. So a savings of $3k right there if needed.</p>

<p>And, as mentioned above, the $600 per year for Dining Dollars can be refunded if you don’t use them at the end of the year.</p>

<p>After the first year, a meal plan isn’t req’d, so savings there. Also, after the first year, a less expensive meal plan can be chosen, if desired.</p>

<p>And, by carefully buying used books and/or using online textbook sources…and selling your textbooks after using, you can save on that annual cost.</p>

<p>The COA is padded so that those who want to borrow to pay for the more costlier dorms/meal plans, etc, are able to do so.</p>

<p>If the school only included the cheaper dorms/meal plans and other options in the COA, then those who want the pricier options wouldn’t be able to get Plus loans or student loans to cover those additional costs.</p>

<p>Pinkturtles…thanks for your thoughts and prayers.</p>

<p>Do they match scholarships from other schools. Ole Miss is on her list along with a small private college in Alabama and two in state schools. We can realistically afford $15000 but could do a little more if we want to take away from our other children’s college money</p>

<p>Sometimes Bama will match scholarships from other schools…it depends on the school. </p>

<p>They don’t match BF since that’s not from a school. </p>

<p>What is your D’s major? Some majors will give scholarships to those who don’t have the big scholarships.</p>

<p>I would definitely apply to Bama and submit the scholarship app. Also apply to Ole Miss, UAB, and Miss St and then see if Bama will match the scholarships. Bama has done that in the past, but I can’t say for sure that they will do this.</p>