Questions from a HS Freshman mom

My son took the SAT once, hardly sent it to anyone, and had this same GPA! The GPA got him a combo of two scholarships at Loyola that are not music-based.

This part was so hard for us having not done any programs. Our only clue was that S passed his prescreens at several selective schools. After that, he just went for it! His process has been a wild and wonderful ride (for the most part), but I do see how some comparison with peers could help for context.

I have been enjoying this thread. @FSUSammy, you sound like a great parent with an amazing kid. So much helpful and thoughtful input from the posters above and I think you have a great sense of the process ahead. I have a few other thoughts to share just because you and your son are starting this journey seriously and early which is a good thing, but can be in ways harder because the path is bumpy and non-linear at times. So here goes:

1. Exploration: It seems your son already goes to a performing arts school which is great. He should have many opportunities through school. Sometimes high level music kids get really frustrated and bored with school. My son (now in a high level conservatory) came close to quitting his instrument because he was so fed up with annoying band kids. He needed to have challenges with other people who shared his passion. So of course camps and festivals and competitions help. Also meeting and playing with adult musicians helps to inspire and helps young musicians understand the multi faceted life of a professional musician.

2. Balance: Ask anyone on the Music Major Journey thread and they will tell you that this is a process with crazy highs and lows. My advice is to stay balanced and emotionally level and help your son do the same. So for now, while it is great to get excited about certain programs or opportunities, just keep an open mind and an even keel. Adults/teachers will often have “the best program” in mind…but a lot happens over three years and the path will gradually become more defined. It should never be “Julliard or bust”.

3. Staying Grounded: Personally, I think it is very healthy for musically talented kids to have other interests. Yes, music takes a lot of time and commitment, but it gets less fun when it is all consuming. My son had a nice group of friends from his sport who honestly did not really know or care that he played music. Now by Junior/Senior year, it was pretty much music and school…
    And I agree that part of staying grounded is help your son be aware of cost constraints. Mine was great at advocating for himself for funding for camps and festivals even at a young age. It is important to be able to speak up for yourself and your talent.

Guiding a young musician through this process is exciting and exhausting. We cannot smooth out the bumpy road, nor should we. They learn and grow so much along the way.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes