Questions from a HS Freshman mom

I’m so glad I found this group because I have SOOOO many questions. Let me preface this with the fact that my son and I lost his dad when he was 2 years old. His dad was BIG into music, got into FSU as a music major and then ended up switching to computer science because he didn’t think he’d make enough money after college. He was so talented and could play just about any instrument you put in front of him.

Fast forward to today…our son is just like his dad. So much so that he also now wants to go to college for music…and JUST music. He LOVES Jazz and plays both guitar and trumpet in his high school’s jazz band. His jazz instructor went to Univ of Miami Frost and as hard as it would be to know he’s going to a rival in the end I want the BEST for this kid even if it means he goes there. When we lost his dad I jumped to setting up a Florida Prepaid account because I didn’t want him being mad at me for not being able to afford college for him (we live in South Florida). Of course now that’s all biting me in the a$$ because none of the Florida public universities are on the top of his list. Sure FSU is up there but it’s supposedly a backup and it’s a hard backup to get in these days too.

Ok so now onto my questions…

1. To give him not only the best shot at meeting faculty and seeing if a school is the right place for him we have him doing his 2nd summer jazz program at FSU. It’s only a week but he enjoyed it a lot last year. He REALLY wants to go to the 2 week program that UM Frost puts on. I’d also like him to check out the one at UNT (Univ of North Texas) as well as Berklee Is there a right time to do these summer programs? Obviously can’t do them all every year so we have to be strategic with this…if it could help him get into a program would be bonus at this point too.

2. I saw a thread on here from 2022 about merit…how common do these schools offer merit for music?

3. Am I right in the fact that he needs to cast his net out wide because he wants to be a jazz performance major and not limit himself to just applying at 4 schools? I obviously don’t want to go overboard and want to dwindle down the list of great Jazz schools but what’s typically a good number of schools to apply to knowing that you have to deal with auditions and all?

That’s it for now. If you read this long. Thank you!!!

I’m on my 2nd go around with music admissions right now. A few things from our experience

• It is more than ok, to set a budget or have contraints. Including using the funds you have available for Florida public schools. Being a musician is a long expensive road, graduating with little to no debt should be a priority. Having some financial flexibility for next steps after graduation can be helpful. We have treated the college search at our house as a game not to gain entry, but to find the best value road to reach goals. There are working musians in our metro from programs no one ever talks about performing along side musicians from much more acclaimed programs. You can find amazing faculty and opportunities lots of places - especially at larger well funded schools and near metro areas.

• Summer programs are great if they are in your budget and can be a good way to get a little taste of a program and build up a relationship with faculty. That said, we had really affordable regional summer options and my kids didn’t do any “famous” summer programs in high school and both have done reasonably well with admissions too. So I also think it’s fine to balance this with budget and not feel you have to do every option open to them. If you know FSU is an affordable option for you for college, I’d be prioritizing that program.

• I will say my straight music kid applying this year who has a teacher with a lot of experience with music admissions applied to 8 programs. My older kid was applying for double degree/double major programs and he applied to 13 programs. We’re still watching/waiting on kid #2 results here, but she does have at least 2 (and most likely at least 3 or 4) affordable options on the table so were calling it a tentative success. How you apply/shop for programs might vary depending on teacher recommendations, if you qualify for need based aid, if you’re hoping for merit aid, etc. Anyway - I think 8-10 schools as an initial list is good and make them a good range of options if you’re hoping for merit. That might dwindle to be 6-8 as you figure out more, get through prescreens, etc. One nice thing to come out of covid is the ability to do online auditions, I hope that does not disappear. My 2nd kid’s list was definitely mostly focused on merit money since we had more background on that though she did have 2 reachy options.

• Hopefully someone weighs in with better info possibly via PM but it is my understanding generally that UNT can be quite generous financially. Frost is dicier and more competitive for merit probably. Berklee is not known for being super generous with UGs typically but you don’t know until you try. If you dig around here you can find some hints. I feel like schools are intentionally vague about it this for sure. Sometimes if you have a sample lesson with a faculty member can give you some hints, both my kids had this happen.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Since he’s a freshman remind him that he has to earn academic acceptance to college as well and to keep his grades up. :slight_smile:

Our experience with UNT was large academic scholarship, small music scholarship. I don’t know what the maximum music scholarship would be, but currently any scholarship $1000 or more also gives the student an out of state tuition waiver, which is worth more than both my son’s merit scholarships combined.

I don’t think you necessarily have to have a huge list of schools but you do have to have a smart list, and when cost is a consideration and auditions are required. My son applied to four schools.

5 Likes

Thank you! This was very helpful!!!

Good to know about UNT! Out of state tuition waivers anywhere would be super helpful at this point for sure.

He is definitely working hard to keep his grades up and he knows that there are schools (like FSU and UM) where he will have to keep his grades up even though I get the typical “but I want to go to school for MUSIC so doesn’t my MUSIC matter more?” lol

LOL is right. No way! (ETA: I kind of changed my mind on my wording here. Yes, music is probably most important. But I don’t think it’s ok to not to keep grades up.) Admittance is not guaranteed even if you’re a great musician, and at many schools merit scholarships are determined based on grades, in addition to or instead of talent-based scholarships.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I’m a newbie to this world and there are many people here who will generously help with expert answers. I can tell you about our experience thus far, because my kid is applying for Jazz Studies/Performance, and he has applied to some of the schools you’ve named. He was admitted to Frost last week, waitlisted at UNT, and is waiting on Berklee.

In addition to doing research about schools, I would talk with your son about his list of qualities he would want in a school. Some are more competitive internally and others are very collaborative. They have many different kinds of campuses and cultures. Some are in music industry cities and others are not. As a jazz musician, he might want to study somewhere like New Orleans or Chicago, or he might want a great program regardless of location. Each has different opportunities for taking classes in other subjects or collaborating with artists in other fields like film. He may not want that. And…you both may or may not know what kind of music program would be best for him to thrive until he gets closer to senior year.

A month or so ago, I wished that we’d cast a wider net, because my son chose to apply to some very selective and expensive schools, but it’s turning out great. He’s thrilled to have gotten past prescreens and gotten so far with some of those schools, and he’s also applied to some that are “more chill” programs, and/or less expensive. He did 13 applications, so he could do all kinds. Some other students do as few as three or four. They know exactly what they want.

If funds are a factor, one thing we have found is that some amazing music programs that are in larger universities can be less expensive. UNT is an example. UNT will give your kid the waiver if grades are solid. If my son gets off the waitlist, it would be a bargain option to consider for a world-class jazz program.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info. It’s super helpful. Best of luck with your son on wherever he decides to go. UNT definitely would be a great bargain option for sure!

1 Like

Hmmm, also I think I said it wrong.

I should have said, yes your music does matter more, but you can’t let your grades slip, either. They are still important.

Others with more experience can weigh in on that. I think he’s right, but also should not use that as an excuse. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My kid got a big academic scholarship to his school based on grades/test scores, so definitely don’t completely slack on classes, but there is a balance - practicing takes a lot of time and effort.

2 Likes

Academics can be a good way to get extra merit.

But I will say there is one public flagship both my kids applied to that is ever more competitive. The music department warned they have no pull in academic admissions. There are parents wringing their hands on the family boards right now because their kid got through the competitive audition process and were admitted but then did not get in academically. Ugh - that has got to be heartbreaking.

Keeping academics in good shape really does keep more doors open.

4 Likes

He definitely is working hard to make sure his grades stay up. Thankfully he goes to a private high school on scholarship for both academic and fine arts and he has to keep his GPA above a certain level to retain both scholarships so there is definitely no slacking off :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He sounds like an amazing kid!

1 Like

This is a great way to say it.

I’m so sorry for those kids. I hope they can appeal.

First, You sound amazing!!!
My son is going to be a Jazz Studies freshman at UNT (guitar) Fall '23. We did the college summer programs to get a feel for schools and instructors. He did NYU, Eastman, Berklee, and UNT. It helped him meet professors and get “the vibe” these kids talk about lol. Ultimately UNT was his fave and became his first choice. He cultivated a nice relationship with the guitar professor there and made communication during applications/auditions easy. I can give you details about any of the programs, just ask. Mine started doing the programs after freshman year so your timing is right
2. Common. Obviously based on skill level but I feel like if they want you they will offer. They will reach out after auditions to gauge interest.
3. We started with 10 schools in mind, applied to 6, and auditioned at 3 ultimately! He happened “to know.” The work we did early on helped in the end.

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m a planner so I do well thinking about all of this WELL in advance lol

Would love any info you have on UNT guitar because that’s exactly what he plays. Guitar is his primary instrument. Granted he also plays trumpet so not sure if he could do both when he goes to college. He’s not 100% sold on Berklee even though I think it would be a great option as well. The guitar teacher at his school went to UNT so I think that’s why its high up on his list.

Just adding my agree to others like @Shellg, it is very common. I haven’t seen very many instances at all on these threads where a student didn’t get a music (or academic merit combo) scholarship. The amounts are what vary significantly, so it’s good you’re doing research so early.

My son plays jazz guitar, and while we are newbies and he has not gotten all this decisions yet, I’d be happy to share any more info about the process we’re going through, in addition to what I’ve already added here. :slight_smile:

I also want to say how sweet it is that he has a natural talent and interest that is like his father’s. I’m so sorry you lost him.

Also want to say that UNT, where @Shellg’s son is going, is a renowned and amazing jazz program. Your kid should absolutely put it on his list.

Starting early like you are, your kid will be in a situation a lot more like her son’s and less like mine. Your kid will be able to take summer programs and get to know profs and schools. So, my idea of casting a wider net may not apply the same to you, once you have done so many years of preparation.

Tnx! I def agree 100% about starting early! It helped us so so much when it came down to applying and then auditioning. It was helpful he had a first choice but that was only because he knew the program and had a relationship with the professor.

I agree that grades are important but just one tidbit to add…My son is a “good” student and quite smart but def spread VERY thin attending a magnet high school Arts program half his day 40 min away…his grades were “average” and his SAT’s as well…He got into Frost ahead of some serious academic students in his school…so I think the skill level is also a BIG factor. He would not have gotten in there for let’s say business. Just to weigh in on that! But like @KaylaMidwest said “no extra academic money offered there”

1 Like

I think you are ahead of the game and in a great place to help your son successfully navigate a difficult path.

My only addition to the grades discussion is that I agree- it’s important to keep the grades and rigor up-- our S chose all test optional schools to apply to (5 total, 3 colleges/unis with music schools or conservatories) and never took the SAT or ACT. He felt his time was better spent prepping his audition pieces, however, he maintained a 3.98 gpa throughout HS, which I think helped with the academic acceptances.

Summer programs were all online at the time due to covid, so he could do multiple programs and got a lot of exposure to a variety of college faculty, but also it helped him to see where he stood compared to his peers.