RA or FA for Fall 2014

<p>Anyone know exactly the process to became an RA or FA?
I know there is a mandatory information session and that last year the interested students had to attend some classes, before knowing if they would be accepted as RAs or FAs.
Can anyone comment on the time commitment the process takes and the odds?</p>

<p>Can anyone also comment if they know when the students would have to return to campus in the fall?</p>

<p>If they are selected for the RA or FA?</p>

<p>I would like to know when the RA 's are notified, is it before the mid-January recontracting for housing date? Thanks!</p>

<p>Applicants will have to attend an info session and then go through Capstone Academy, which is basically a weakly leadership class that teaches things like active listening. The commitment is an hour or two a week. Then they have interviews. They’ll find out AFTER the recontracting date if they are offered a position. Yes, that is difficult and inconvenient and makes housing options for next year hard to decide on.</p>

<p>Last year I found out in mid-February (maybe the 22nd) that I was offered a position. </p>

<p>Per Mary Thornton, </p>

<p>Spring Training Schedule
Week of March 9, 2014
Week of March 16, 2014
Week of April 6, 2014
Week of April 13, 2014
More information regarding spring training will be sent out after January but you will know the training schedule before you accept the position because all training is mandatory.</p>

<p>Fall Training: RAs/FAs return around August 1, 2014 at 1pm to prepare buildings for opening and do final training. The final date has not been set.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information bamabound27. Is it extremely competitive getting an RA job? Any insider tips?</p>

<p>Very short notice, but I JUST saw this on the calendar on son’s MyBama:</p>

<p>RA/FA Interest Session
Date: Wednesday, November 06, 2013
Time: 12:00 PM - 01:00 PM

<p>Categories: Campus Life</p>

<p>Interested in becoming an RA or FA for 2014-2015?
Take the first step now! Attend a mandatory interest session (only one session is required).</p>

<p>Please contact Mary Thornton at <a href=“mailto:thorn028@sa.ua.edu”>thorn028@sa.ua.edu</a> if you have any questions.</p>

<p>([RA/FA</a> Interest Session | Events Calendar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Events Calendar - The University of Alabama”>Events Calendar - The University of Alabama))</p>

<p>It does say only one session is required, so I assume there will be additional sessions, but it didn’t have the dates/times for those.</p>

<p>Found the additional info session times:</p>

<p>Friday, November 8 12:00-1:00P (1st Floor Classroom Ridgecrest South)
Sunday, November 10 7:00-8:00P (1st Floor Classroom Blount LLC)
Thursday, November 14 12:00-1:00P (2nd Floor Large Study Room Lakeside West)
Monday, November 18 12:00-10:00P (Ferg Student Center)
Monday, November 18 4:00-5:00P (Living Room Harris Hall)
Wednesday, November 20 12:00-1:00P (Large Living Room Riverside Community Center)
Friday, November 22 12:00-1:00P (Living Room Parham East)
Sunday, November 24 7:00-8:00P (7th Floor Living Room Presidential I)</p>

<p>what’s an FA?</p>

<p>Freshmen Advisor (FA)</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/event_calendar.cfm?p=2#2563]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/event_calendar.cfm?p=2#2563)</p>

<p>Yes, it is pretty competitive. Most returners who reapply, but not all, are offered a position again the following year. However getting the job in the first place is tough.</p>

<p>My advice would be to participate and be outgoing during Capstone Academy, because your instructors do watch and take note of your behavior. At the same time, do not be a know-it-all who answers every question and doesn’t let anyone else speak. It sounds like common sense, but it surprised me how many people thought they could go through the course not participating and also how many were too aggressive. Also, get your resume critiqued by the career center, and maybe do a mock interview.</p>