In A Tight Spot for Next Year's Housing

<p>When do RA applications become available for next FALL and after we apply, how long until interviews and then how long until we know whether or not we get a bid for a residence hall?</p>

<p>My friends are starting to talk about where they want to live next year and a couple of them have asked me to live with them. I would love to do that, but only if I can’t be an RA. Additionally, some people have mentioned that the time is fast approaching to sign leases and get a plan going for next year. I’m giving a lot of "I don’t know"s but I feel like I have no other choice but to be non-commital right now. Help??</p>

<p>Email arrived today in D’s box:</p>

<p>Become a Resident Advisor for Spring 2013!</p>

<p>Application now available at jobs.ua.edu</p>

<p>Resident Advisors are leaders who live in the residence halls. Their job responsibilities include:

• Building relationships with the residents on their floor or in their building
  • Connecting residents to resources on campus
  • Serving as a role model
  • Serving on call to respond to after-hours emergencies
  • Confronting violations of the community living standards in order to maintain a safe and healthy living environment
  • Completing administrative paperwork as assigned</p>

<p>To be eligible for a spring 2013 RA position, applicants must:

• Have completed 2 full semesters at the time of application and have an overall GPA of at least 2.8. (First-year students are not eligible to apply.)
  • Be available nights, weekends, and holiday hours. These will be required throughout the period of employment because this position will serve on call.
  • Be available Tuesday evenings between 8pm-10pm to attend weekly staff meetings. </p>

<p>The successful candidate will be organized, possess the ability to interact and communicate with a diverse group of people, work cooperatively on a team, maintain confidentiality, and plan and implement activities designed to meet the needs of the residents on their floor.</p>

<p>Important Dates:

• Application deadline is October 29, 2012.
  • Selected applicants will receive an email by October 31, 2012 notifying them of whether or not they will be interviewed and with more information about the interview process.<br>
  • Interviews for this position will be conducted on Sunday, November 4, 2012 from 2pm-5pm.
  • Selected candidates will be notified by November 9, 2012 letting them know if they have received a position.<br>
  • Start date for the position will be January 3, 2013.</p>

<p>Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. </p>

<p>Sincerely,</p>

<p>Mary L. Thornton
Staff Training and Selection Coordinator
Housing and Residential Communities
The University of Alabama</p>

<p>Thanks for the response, but I’m a freshmen and therefore will not have 2 full semesters completed. I am ineligible to become an RA in the spring, and my housing for next semester is set. I’m concerned about next Fall and the RA application for then.</p>

<p>I didn’t even notice it was for the spring semester!!! Sorry!</p>

<p>BB27, why don’t you call BB27 and see if she can answer some of your questions? I have heard the the positions are very hard to get.</p>

<p>call the person who sent that email.</p>

<p>My D applied as was offered an RA position last year for this fall. I believe the application process began around October or November. If I recall correctly, the process of interviewing continued until mid January. I don’t believe the offers were awarded until a week or two after the interviews concluded. After considering several factors she decided living off campus and picking up a twelve month lease was more beneficial to her in the long run, so she turned down the position.</p>

<p>If you are interested in an RA position for next fall I would recommend contacting Housing and asking about the process. RA’s receive housing (in a four person suite if it is the super suites like RCS, but sometimes in a one person suite in other buildings), a reduced meal plan, and a small monthly stipend. During room selection as an incoming freshman you saw rooms designated as occupied by an RA. The RA has the option of choosing suitemates to pull in if he or she chooses, so anyone living there this year is not eligible to recontract for that same room for the next year unless the RA chooses them or leaves the space open for selection.</p>

<p>Being an RA is highly sought after on campus. Keep in mind it is a highly competitive process, but it is a great opportunity to gain leadership experience if your academic schedule permits. Good luck!:)</p>

<p>This link on Housing says to look for additional information on Fall 2013 RA positions in November.:)</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm)</p>

<p>I hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for all the help! I’m going to contact Mrs. Thornton. Bamagirls, was your daughter able to find adequate off campus housing after she decided to turn down the RA opportunity?</p>

<p>Yes, she was able to sign a lease at the new East Edge complex. I cannot remember for sure, but I think it was mid to late January when she signed her lease. She really likes it there. I know leases are already being signed for next year for EE and some other complexes, I would guess you could still find something in February. It might be good to begin exploring now to see what is out there and what the situation might be just in case. Good luck!:)</p>