Race/Ethnicity

<p>Hey,
I was wondering if I can be considered hispanic/latino. My great grandparents moved to Colombia and became citizens after living there for so many years. After they moved to an island called Curacao which is right off the coast of Venezuela. My mom was born on the island, and although it is considered a dutch island, it is in the Caribbean, and has a very strong spanish influence. On the island almost everyone speaks spanish, and my mom grew up speaking spanish, english, dutch, and papiamentu, and I have also grown up with those languages. So for common app/college apps can I be considered hispanic or Latino?</p>

<p>OK, I’ll bite since no one else has replied:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Read the OP of the Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum for the US Census definition of Hispanic, which is the one used for college admissions. The key here is that you self-identify as Hispanic, only you can answer that question.</p></li>
<li><p>Other definitions may be used by scholarships/programs/fly-ins, so you need to check each individual source to see if you qualify.</p></li>
</ol>