Racial Concerns at UA

I am not sure what twoinandone expects, but UA, like most other state flagships, is still mainly White, so why would anyone expect the Greek system to look much different than the rest of the student body? It is integrated in the sense that no alumni adviser is allowed to discourage frat or sorority houses from integrating, and the university has in fact, strongly pushed the Greek system to integrate. Compare UA’s system to that of other state flagships if you doubt this assertion.

It’s either integrated or it isn’t, and I do not think it is more diverse than other flagships, especially those with similar numbers of minority students attending the school. Yes, the UA PanHel specifically includes all races in Rush and bans it’s members from excluding minorities. The number of black members in the PanHel houses is still minute, and I don’t think there are any white members in the black houses. Not exactly the big melting pot. The houses weren’t officially segregated before the Big Shake-up, but individual houses may have had policies, and the UA administration told them to stop it. My house, which has a chapter at Alabama, never banned any race or religion. It think the number of black women who had joined traditionally white houses at UA was about 5 per year. The first year after the big change? 23. Not 23 per house, but 23 between the 17 houses. Not exactly earth shaking.

I agree with post #16 that it will be a long time before it happens, or it may never happen at Alabama. I agree it is by choice for the black women who want to join the houses their mothers and grandmother and sisters and friends joined, but I think it is unfortunate. As the PanHel houses become more diverse with Asian, Hispanic and other minority members, they will still not represent the make up of the campus because there will be few black women members.

LionKong, unfortunately, Amanda bought into some urban legend and presented it as fact. HAD it happened, you better believe it would have made HUGE national news. I was sore about it cause she had such an awesome national platform and she chose to take a crap on her alma mater. Very sad. But in fairness, I believe many students are being brainwashed by their professors to see everything in light of critical theory, which sees racism around every corner. I do hope you come to UA.

And I disagree that you need to join a frat. The majority of UA students are NOT in the Greek system. There are so many ways to get involved on campus. But the key is for YOU to not wait on groups to accept you. YOU have to get involved and the friends will follow!

Others hear can verify that UA was Obama territory when he ran for president. It was Reagan and Bush Sr territory when I attended but was Clinton territory soon after.

LionKong,

If you have any interest in Art, please check out the Paul Jones collection if you ever visit UA. It is the nation’s largest private collection of Black Art. https://art.ua.edu/gallery/prj/ It was donated by the late Paul Jones, who was born and raised in Alabama, but did not attend Alabama. He wanted the state’s flagship to have it. If you have interest in theater, I think you will find that Black students are very welcome in that department at UA. The current lead in Hamilton is a Black alum from UA

My son just submitted his application. I am encouraged by this discussion.

@Atlanta68
I think I will check that out next week during DP Jr.'s orientation.

@Atlanta68 Thank you for your responses. I will definitely check out the collection.

Is there anything I should plan on doing during my visit that might immerse me in the atmosphere of UA (probably won’t visit again until the fall)?

If during a football home game, you’ll be immersed.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
The topic of this thread is UA, not a greater discussion of Black Live Matter. Several posts deleted.

@LionKong I would hit the campus with no plan and just find situations like at the coffee place in Ferguson or wherever where you can chat up random people. Because the people are what makes a college and if you stick with the “tourist” stuff you will not get the real feel of the college.

@JohnGaltIII Sounds like a good idea. I am always in the mindset that the tours they provide only highlight the “amazing” things about a college (which I guess they want people to attend), and don’t really do the campus justice. Thank you for the suggestion!

The cafeteria/lunchroom/dining hall is also a good place to get a feel for a campus culture & student body.

@Publisher Thank you. That was another thing I was thinking about doing. Do you know if there are any dining halls that are better than others? I have heard that Bryant was considered the best, but I also heard that it was for the athletes.

I am not a student so I cannot help. Sorry.

That’s fine! Will still check out dining. Thanks.

@LionKong they are just finishing a new separate dining facility for the athletes, so AFAIK there will be no more access to the “nicer” food for the masses via Bryant. However, they are also just finishing up a renovation to Lakeside Dining (which I believe is the largest dining hall) so the food there should improve.

(My DS had no real complaints about Lakeside, but its been pretty generic. He eats all over the place depending on where he happens to be. I think he likes Fresh Foods.)

True

I was wondering if anyone has any insights as to why the percentage of Asian students is so low at UA?

@janiemiranda , not rhetorical, as I have not looked the answers up either:

• Do you know what the % of students at Alabama are Asian?
  • Do you know what the % of population in the state of Alabama is Asian?

I could venture insights to answer your question, but they would be anecdotal and would probably start with Alabama as a state ranks somewhere around 45th in the US of states with Asians as a percentage of the population.