Random Questions

Yeah, THAT’S my problem. :wink:

We can’t help having been made gorgeous! :smiley:

We tip per service (instead of just at one time) and tend to get great, personal service because of it. We also are very friendly with people, though, so I bet it’s a combination. It’s just more fun that way, and the people seem genuinely appreciative. For example, one concierge found out it was my daughter’s birthday. We entered our room that night and found a whole cake and plates, etc., free of charge! It was so kind of him–and definitely an extra, friendly gesture.

@lee5596
Contact the technical school or look online to see if any courses your daughter is interested in start soon.

Here’s my random question: when did people start sneezing and coughing into their elbows? Am I right in thinking this was not done back when I was a kid in the 60’s? Is it because people don’t carry handkerchiefs any more?

It’s supposed to be better for public health to cough into elbows, especially since people touch their face and shake hands.

It is because the CDC began to promote this method:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/protect/cdc_cough.pdf

Just kidding. But it is much better than spraying the people around you with virus-loaded droplets.

But when did this happen? That’s my question.

My kids’ preschool taught the kids to do this, and that was the early-mid 90s.

Well, here’s a 2005 news article recommending coughing into elbows, but not sure how early it all began.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ColdandFluNews/story?id=651134&page=1

I highly doubt anyone can come up with a specific date. Kleenex facilitated the demise of handkerchiefs loong time ago. Perhaps this will shed some light on the issue:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/absolutely-maybe/the-winter-sneeze-hand-tissue-or-dracula-style-gesundheit/

Re coughing into elbows: Yes it’s partly that people don’t carry handkerchiefs; and when they do, it’s often that perfect little monogrammed square they wouldn’t touch if it meant disfiguring the look. Also, you sometimes cough or sneeze without enough warning to grab a Kleenex.

Coughing into your elbow is a good solution because it prohibits germs from flying into the air your neighbor breathes, plus it has the benefit of always being available. Few people stuff their elbows into a purse or pocket.

I didn’t take it seriously until I realized that all the senior execs at all the hospitals I knew had started doing it. I figure someone in the know was, shall we say, putting a bug in their ear.

I first started to notice the trend around 10-15 years ago I think.

Well, I have seen some children who needed a clean shirt after sneezing into their elbow. Just sayin’.

Why do we make pennies? For that matter, why do we continue making nickels considering that it costs 8 cents to make a 5 cent coin?

From: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/12/15/just-how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-penny/

IIRC, sneezing or coughing into the crook of your arm (not your elbow) began around 20 years ago, when some very nasty strains of flu were running around the globe. If you cough or sneeze into your hand, you’re only going to spread the germs when you touch anything.

My daughter’s 20, and the coughing into the crook of the arm was already in effect in her preschool days. So at least 18 years.

Another question – what’s the inside if the arm at the elbow joint called? Elbow isn’t right:, that’s on the outside.

It’s the antecubital or cubital fossa.

Do you eat cupcakes with a spoon? I was recently in Phoenix, Arizona and saw people using spoons at various locations. I’d never seen that before. Did they think I was a pig for directly biting into my cupcake?

I find cupcakes really awkward to eat. How do you get a good bit of cake and frosting without opening your mouth as wide as an alligator? They are so cute to behold but so much harder to eat than a slice of cake.

I’m sure those people didn’t think ill of you, they were just being practical.

Best way to eat a cupcake is to tear the bottom half off and put it on top so frosting is sandwiched in the middle.

That being said, I’ll take a slice of cake over cupcakes any day.