Random Questions

I suppose I’ll have to get out a magnifying glass and see what the research really says. My nurse made it sound like 2x/week would do no good which just makes me want to give up altogether since I haven’t been compliant in at least two years!

Hugs, greenwitch.

Re the election: the safest thing I can say is NO COMMENT!

I came home from China with a 23-month-old when I was 49.667 years old. It was definitely a trip! But we survived. I don’t call myself oldmom for nothing!

This is a rhetorical question but was just pondering it yesterday at the gym. I was watching an exercise class (zumba maybe? IDK) and there was a young lady int here who was really, really painfully thin. While there is the remote possibility it was normal for her or due to a medical condition or something, to my trained eyes she looked anorexic, and the exercising (she was jumping around more than even the instructor) looked unhealthy, potentially dangerous and feeding into the illness. Is there any responsibility on the part of the gym, the instructor or anyone to delicately address the issue? It would be met with denial and perhaps anger, but facilitating behaviors of someone with a probable eating disorder that could be life threatening seems concerning, especially got a place that is supposed to be focused on health and wellness.

jym, not knowing the facility’s policies, my thought would be to reduce risk of liability, they might ask for MD clearance to participate.

^^But then they really should do it for all participants.

I believe that when I joined my gym, I had to sign something that said I understand I’m using the gym at my own risk. That is probably sufficient from a legal perspective, but it’s something else from a moral perspective.

There is likely something in the fine print of the contract. But agree with VH, in that its more than just a legal issue though it is also a safety issue.

My trainer told me he has attempted to talk to one thin exerciser, but she was in denial. She wasn’t anorexic thin.

If someone did look too thin, I would hope the group leader or the manager would speak to the person, privately.

ok; question here as i’m cleaning out a drawer and stumbled up on a bunch of old kids games on cd for computer. Games like school tycoon, nancy drew, clifford preschool, tonka race track, oregon trail, i spy – old games from late 90s and 2000s.

question: are they any good on new systems?
and the bigger question: these games took awhile to finish, had several layers and levels, and my kids would spend hours on them. What do kids do now? i think that apps are quick and not as long, right? - are there still games like these? maybe on video systems?

@jym626 wrote

The problem with this is is that you’re singling her out because you can tell she’s harming herself. For every anorexic, there are a dozen other people in the gym doing things to their bodies that are equally as harmful, but not as obvious.

As sad as it makes me, I can’t stop people from destroying the temples that hold their souls. They’re grownups, and they’re going to do what they want to do, as destructive and counter-rational as it is.

If their behavior could potentially cause collateral damage to innocents-like someone drinking WAY too many beers after the tennis match is over, I will touch their shoulder and say “are you going to be ok to drive? I can give you a ride home.” Usually they say “oh I’m fine”, but they will tend to stop drinking because someone has said something to them. I find that emphasizing the words with a physical connection like touching them on the shoulder helps them to understand that I am truly concerned for them.

@bgbg4us the old CD games tend not to work on the new OS. I have an old Warlords III game that I adore, and it won’t work with Windows 10. Boo.

But if she has a heart attack and collapses in the gym, someone is going to contact an attorney.

Trainers help people in the gym learn to do exercises the correct way. A person leading an exercise class is also trained. And they may possibly be held to a higher standard. Thats different from some random person in the class saying something to her.

A friend used to manage a weight loss center. This was a very important issue to address- if someone had any underlying health issue that could affect the plan.

But is she healthy? Do you have another reason to suspect she’s not?

Some places will request a note from a treating physician. Most anorexics think they are healthy when they are not. It is a very dangerous illness.

If an obese person is working out in the gym, do they need a note, too? What about an old person? A smoker? You see where I’m going here-it’s just one of many things people do (well, not the old part, we can’t help that) that can kill them at the gym.

Can you recycle wrapping paper? I know this is an ‘it depends’ question. Why?

If it is torn or wrinkled, or there are obvious places where there was tape removed, don’t reuse the wrapping paper.

An obese person is likely in the gym to improve their health. An anorexic engaging in what may be excessive exercising- it is often part of their disease. It is not to improve their health.

About the old computer games - if your kids loved them I would save them unless they say otherwise. We have an old computer hanging around just because mine still like to play whatever those old games are when they visit and have some downtime.

“An obese person is likely in the gym to improve their health. An anorexic engaging in what may be excessive exercising- it is often part of their disease. It is not to improve their health”

Yeah, but my point was they are both unhealthy at that point in time, and equally as likely to have a heart attack at the gym.

It’s like you wouldn’t kick an anorexic out of a Denny’s but you’d ask an obese person for a note from his doctor before he could order the grand slam platter?

I had a friend and colleague who died of anorexia. In the 6 months before her death, she was banned from all of the gyms of which she was a member for being too thin, which infuriated her. New gyms rejected her membership. She died while exercising on a treadmill in her own home.

This was not a close question – anyone who looked at her could tell she was very, very ill. It was not a matter of thinking, “Perhaps she is just naturally thin.”