Random Questions

Based on very quick research, I would sew up the rip with heavy duty thread. Then get a length of sturdy fabric, coat it with fabric glue, and press it along the rip. Wouldn’t hurt to glue the fabric both top and bottom.

There are tons of articles implying it’s easy to replace mesh outdoor seating by yourself. Not sure I’d agree!

3 Likes

Gorilla tape is better IMO. Or there are fabric repair tapes:

https://www.amazon.com/GEAR-AID-Tenacious-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B09TGLKQ64

2 Likes

So I actually saw chaise lounge, a bit nicer I think, on NextDoor for only $25. That’s when I realized I’d prefer to renovate the old one if possible, ie it was not all about the money.

2 Likes

You can also make or buy replacement slings. They’re easy to swap out.

@choatiemom, I’m seven months out from a total knee. Was bone-on-bone and grinding. Ortho hoped fixing the knee would help my hip. Nope! I don’t have arthritis in the hip, but do have bursitis. Cortisone shot was terrific for three months. I can’t take NSAIDs because of my cardiac meds, so that’s a non-starter.

I thought lots of walking would help my knee get back into shape. Not so much. It’s all about the range of motion. I should be able to to bend at 115-135 degrees, and extend to fully straight. Have used almost all of my 60 PT visits, and I’m at 105 degrees on a good day, and 7 degrees from straight. I’m using a hiking stick as a cane because I’m still wobbly. I have less chronic pain in the knee and can actually get on the floor (though still ungainly!), and I can walk up and downstairs by alternating legs. It’s slow and stiff, but I straight-legged and walked sideways down the stairs before the surgery.

My PT is amazing. Several friends who have had hips and knees done recommended her, as well as my ortho. At this point, she feels the ortho should do knee manipulation under anesthesia or actually go in and snip scar tissue. Consensus is that scar tissue is preventing more PT progress.

Most of the knee replacements my ortho does these days are same-day surgery! Blows my mind. They kept me in the hospital for 2.5 days.

A couple friends who have had hips done said recovery was remarkably easy, esp compared to knees. The less-invasive hip surgery seems to be a real game-changer.

2 Likes

I should have been more thoughtful that you really wanted to keep your chaise lounge. :slight_smile:

Found these “fix it’s” if you have some time and skill!

2 Likes

Sorry for your knee challenges. Hope you see some good improvement soon.

I have noticed same comments about hip surgery recovery being pretty easy. One friend commented that two weeks afterward he was doing far better than the painful pre-surgery era.

1 Like

DH has had two hips done. With the first one, he waited and waited and waited to have the surgery because he heard the replacement hips only last for a finite number of years. With the second one, he was on it right away. Why wait when you can easily relieve unremitting pain??

2 Likes

Where’s our supposed political thread?

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/about-politics-on-cc/3617247

says it doesnt exist

You needed to sign up to be in the political group. Paging @CC_Jon about how you can be added.

thanks!

Is there a polite tactful way to turn down an offer for a bespoke homemade gift? Son got text from SIL offering to needlepoint a throw pillow as holiday/birthday gift and she wants to set up video call to choose design. SIL recently retired and is heavily into crafting. Son doesn’t feel especially close and would be ok with getting pillow as a surprise. But he would be uncomfortable being complicit, so to speak, in planning for a labor intensive gift he doesn’t particularly want.

I myself would not think of such a gift for a 30 something single guy.

So…can he say no thanks? And if so, how?

Ugh, there is nothing worse about gifting than gift pressure of receiving! If your son is like me, it is hard to fake liking/wanting a gift.

My first thought is “gosh Aunt Susie, I hate to have you put your time and energy into a gift like that! I’m not really a pillow guy - I just use my pillows to put my head on or prop my dinner plate on while eating in front of the tv! You should use your time and talents on someone who would appreciate your skill more! But thank you for thinking of me!”

10 Likes

Yeah, his aunt apparently wants to spend a lot of time to make something “special” for him. There’s a mindset that any homemade gift is welcome, whether or not the recipient wants or can appreciate it. And it really does become an uncomfortable pressure, especially when he doesn’t feel a strong bond or connection to his aunt compared to his uncle. We can work with some of your language, thanks, like “I’m not really a decorative pillow kind of guy”!

She better not make something for me - I used to needlepoint and cross stitch a lot. Mostly the projects got framed. Or stuck in a drawer. I think she should spend her time crafting for her future DIL - nephew is getting married next year.

Well the other thing he could do is really tell her what he likes, for example the Green Bay Packers. It would be a little kitschy, but maybe kinda cool to have a needlepoint Packers pillow. Or he do what @abasket suggested and also include some stuff he actually likes – “I like the Packers and Star Wars and NASCAR and Yosemite, but I’m not really a pillow guy, etc.” I mean if she’s hellbent on making him something and just enjoys needlepoint and has filled her home with it and run out of people to make it for, then why deny her the pleasure.

1 Like

Maybe he could suggest a framed needlepoint item instead. When I was a kid, my mother started a needlework pillow project. After devoting a lot of time to it, she was unwilling to subject it to the wear and tear as a pillow decoration. Instead she framed it.

We all moved from Chicagoland so it wouldn’t be the Packers! I’m not sure there’s any genre he could specifically point to - other than video games and anime. But I gather SIL has some site in mind to order from and wants to discuss styles and colors with him so it goes with his decor, such as it is. She has not been a long term needle pointer or anything although she has done crafts along the way. She seems to want to make something to be treasured - which is where the pressure comes in because he would not treasure something he doesn’t need or want, even if it’s to his taste.

He’s not interested in hanging anything on his walls (I’ve tried many suggestions over the years) so a pure deco item would sort of be wasted.

He’s still thinking it over.

2 Likes