Random Questions

It’s totally normal for honey to crystallize; no worries on continuing to use it. There’s tons of advice on the interwebs on how to restore it; I usually just put it in a cup of very warm water.

3 Likes

Ok so heat (warm) helps. Tell me, does your honey turn this quick?

Sometimes, especially if it’s from a farmers market stand.

1 Like

Not usually.

I favor jars for honey, not plastic squeeze bottles.. A few years ago church friends from a few blocks away gifted me a jar of honey from their hives. (How cool is that? Supposedly local honey is helpful for allergies, and these bees might have feasted in my own yard.). It was in a screw topped canning jar. It did crystallize a bit over time, but it seemed less so than the plastic squeeze bottles. Since then I’ve gotten my honey in small jars, from farmer’s market or bulk store. I scoop it out with a spoon (or the back of a spoon for the smallest size jar).

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve purchased both ways - plastic bottle and glass jars. I mean I’m not using it on a daily basis - but I guess I’ll just deal with it and stop blaming myself that I’m doing something wrong!

You need one of the cool honey dipper thingys!

1 Like

Honey crystalizes more slowly if kept at warmer temps, not cooler.

When I was young my dad (and I) tended 500 hives. That’s not a typo. It was our full time summer job and part time during the school days. He had two 360 frame extractors that I loaded. I rarely eat honey now, but those summers we ate a lot during the processing (not out of what was going to market!).

2 Likes

Did you ever hear anything from any source about this? I’m just catching up on this thread now (obviously). Touring the Gulf of St Lawrence and Gaspe has been near the top of our travel list for some time now. I grew up along the St Lawrence further south/west. I’ve seen it to Montreal, but not beyond.

2 Likes

Did not get any replies here on CC. We may do this trip next year anyway—Globus has been in business forever, going to take out trip insurance as always, just in case.

2 Likes

My sis went on a Globus tour in Europe and loved it. Please report back. Hope you have a great time!

1 Like

Thanks @HImom – we live a short one hour flight from Montreal, so we will give it a go, but not til next year–this year’s travel plans are already made.

Random question:
You’re making a homemade traditional red sauce pizza. How do you layer it?

Crust
Sauce
Toppings
Cheese???

Crust
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings??

Crust
Sauce
A little cheese
Toppings
Rest of cheese???

Otherwise?!

And is there rhyme of reason for how you later?

Crust
Sauce
A lot of cheese
Toppings
A lot more cheese

5 Likes

Crust
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings

Previously, I used to do:
Crust
Sauce
A little cheese
Toppings
Lots of grated cheese

That used to enhance the flavor of the toppings IMO, but was hard to tell pizzas apart when we made multiple types. Now I don’t cover the toppings any more.

1 Like

I too often split the cheese layers. I used to do crust, sauce, toppings, cheese - but that can get soggy it seems

Tonight I am doing all cheese on the sauce, then the toppings, then a tad of olive oil on the very small edge crust and sprinkling parm on that

1 Like

Grouping 2, but for no particular reason. If I’m eating frozen pizza I do put more cheese on top of the toppings.

1 Like

Crust, sauce, cheese, toppings, a sprinkle of extra cheese

2 Likes

I cut onions, green peppers, and tomatoes if we have then, then open a can of mushrooms, and pull out some spinach from our salad mix. After that I leave. H uses flour tortilla crusts, mozz cheese, and a mild salsa from Full Circle for sauce. However he chooses to layer things I don’t care. They’re always great tortizzas!

We never make a traditional pizza at home. Tortizzas are healthier and tastier to us. When we don’t care about health or want to take the time to make them, DiGiorno Stuffed Crust Supreme with mushrooms added (by us) are great, so fill in the niche for us.

1 Like

Crust
Brush olive oil lightly
Sauce
Tuscan spice mix
Light layer of Mozzarella Cheese
Toppings
Feta or crumbled goat cheese sprinkled on top with a a few sprigs of arugula/basil/random fresh herb.

2 Likes

Crust
Sauce
A little cheese
Toppings
Rest of cheese