Random Questions

Matthew’s mom may have KNOWN Woody’s dad intimately and they could be half brothers. I’m not clear on the timeline of when the second divorce was and when Matthew was born. It just said that Woody’s dad was on furlough when Matthew’s mom knew him. Also, I think they do look alike. Very similar nose.

And to make it even spicier, Woody’s dad was a convicted hitman! Charles Harrelson - Wikipedia

1 Like

@CottonTales - out of curiosity, where did your daughter end up and did she like it?

1 Like

I’m not sure, she is on a flight home just in time for our weather to go from 85 degrees down to the high 50’s low 60’s. She can’t catch a break on either coast!

1 Like

Wednesday night, they went to Kilowatt brewery followed by dinner at La Dona, both in Ocean Beach. Thursday was a place simply named Tapas and Beer. @Marilyn

1 Like

LOL, not at all close to the Hilton! I have been to La Dona (a mile from my home), but admittedly breweries are not in my bailiwick.

1 Like

Any easy ways for my husband (on Medicare) to order free Covid tests? I got some myself on CVS prescription plan, but it would be good to get some more.

We got ours at our local pharmacy. Has he done that?

1 Like

I have just gone into both CVS and Walgreens and gotten them at the pharmacy counter.

1 Like

Yes, at the pharmacies around here, you just present your medicare card and can get up to 8 covid tests at no charge per person/month up until 5/10.

Check the expiration dates. The ones we got expire in the next few months. Those I saw at Costco expired (but i guess the expiration dates were extended).

For those who fly into Newark and check bags - is there seating in baggage claim for Terminal B? We’ll be incoming on one flight and son on another - if on time (I know, unlikely), we’ll be an hour apart. We’ll have checked bags (he won’t). If we meet in baggage claim, will there be a place to sit and wait for the other? Obviously we want to pick up our checked bags.

Then we’ll all go together to the car rental and get the heck out of Dodge.

Thx!

I flew into Newark in the summer of 2021 and there was seating in the baggage claim area.

2 Likes

I was looking for this thread. Wanted to tell folks that if you get the email inviting you to join some class action suit against facebook, it is legitimate. I was very wary so did some checking, and all sites say its legit. I figured no harm, no foul, so registered after reading up on it, but selected the payment option (should there be any) of a mastercard credit card . Did not want to give them any info for access to paypal or venmo or such, just in case……

2 Likes

The Facebook settlement is legit.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/are-you-a-facebook-user-you-could-get-some-settlement-cash/

“ What are the settlement details?

The Notice of Proposed Settlement lays out the steps you’ll need to take if you want to claim a piece of the settlement or hold out for something else. Here are the key points:

Who can file claims? Anyone who was in the United States and had an account on the social network between May 24, 2007, and Dec. 22, 2022.

How do you file? By filling out a form onlineor downloading the claim form and then mailing it to Facebook Consumer Privacy User Profile Litigation, c/o Settlement Administrator, 1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210, Philadelphia, PA 19103.

What information do you have to provide? Just your Facebook user name, or the phone number or email address associated with your account, along with your contact information and your choice of payment (prepaid MasterCard, PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, check). If you are no longer a Facebook user, you’ll need to provide the month and year you joined and the month and year you quit.”

More info here:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/free-cash-coming-to-facebook-users-heres-how-to-claim-your-share/

1 Like

Any guesses on how long it will take or what pittance whe might get if we ever get anything? Something (I forget what, maybe ATT class action) recently sent us $5 and change in the settlement.

From the link:

When will you be paid? The court is scheduled to hold a final approval hearing Sept. 7. Payments can’t begin until the settlement agreement is approved and attorney fees and expenses are determined.

How much will you receive? Again, this depends on how much money is left in the $725 million pot after fees and expenses are paid. The agreement also proposes to pay $15,000 to each of the plaintiffs who represented the class; the eight named in the settlement would reduce the pot by $120,000. To divvy up the rest of the money, the settlement administrator will assign claimants one point for each month they had an activated Facebook account during the period covered by the lawsuit. The administrator will add up the points, calculate how much is to be paid per point, then award claimants according to the number of points they accumulated.”

So the longer you had the account the more $$ you might get. My youngest had her FB since the early days of its existence! She theatrically closed her MySpace account declaring that platform “a playground for perverts” and joined the new, totally cool one… :laughing:

2 Likes

Does anybody have a countertop compost container to recommend? We’re considering getting a new one, ideally easy to take to the can and easy to rinse out.

More background: Until now, we’ve been happy collecting kitchen stuff in an old decorative metal flower part (with luncheon plate on top). Curbside composting is now going to just yard waste and food waste (no more napkins, coffee filters etc allowed). Reasonable move to keep the community compost contents pure, but now our pail gets more messy. Compostable bags (up to 3 gallons, special kinds) still allowed, but not sure our TJ produce bags comply.

Have you considered this? https://mill.com/

That’s new to me… very interesting. May have to show that to my EarthCare committee friends at church.

With two of us, not much volume on food waste. But we opted for the local compost collection can (96 gallons, every other week pickup) because putting yard waste in it allows us to downsize to cheaper 48 gallon trash bin for net savings $5/month. Separating it does help reduce methane in landfills.
Food Waste and its Links to Greenhouse Gases and Climate Change | USDA.

1 Like

@Colorado_mom it is new. The guy that developed it (Matt rogers) is the co-founder of nest (now google/nest) and has been working on this for a while. They just came out of “stealth” a few months ago.

It’s cool stuff, though I do have mixed feelings about the mail-in step. I see potential someday to get consumers to have option to use in own garden or get partnered with dropoff at local farm.