Random Questions

How long ago? Within 30 -60 days you can buy extended warranty. My D bought a stove from Sears long ago that quit working and the repair guy told her to buy the warranty and then call him back. Much cheaper than the repair.

Only time I bought extended warranty was for Samsung refrigerator (because I don’t think any new refrigerators have a great track record.) The extended 5 year warranty came in handy at 4 years, 9 months. They couldn’t fix it timely so company refunded my full purchase price.

1 Like

One thing I wouldn’t recommend is the two-drawer Fisher and Paykel! The condo building where we stay on vacation recently went with that D/W as a replacement for the aging Bosch ones originally installed in 2008, and F&P in three different units were absolutely awful. Did not clean the dishes well and took forever to do the subpar job. Not a fan. Plus, one of them would start randomly. I had to find the power cord and unplug it while it was not in use. We weren’t able to figure out why it would start doing this. Then we overheard a guy talking to the maintenance folks in the lobby that his dishwasher would start running randomly! Definitely not a fan :laughing:

1 Like

As mentioned above, Dawn worked. I actually wish I’d bought 2 of the shirt. They are cheap and have UPF protection, and if you lose a $13 shirt somewhere, no biggie.

We had Bosch in our former home. One was great and lasted 14+ years. The other had to be replaced after a few years and its replacement was a Whirlpool. I chose Bosch for the new house and have been very pleased. I did have to get H to stop filling the detergent cup all the way; half full seems to work better. He also forgets to clean the strainer so that’s often not done for a couple of weeks.

3 Likes

Bosch dishwasher. Best we’ve had - 7 yrs old now

1 Like

We recently purchased a new home. I’m waiting for our current dishwasher to fail so I can replace it with a new Bosch. We had one for years in previous home. Loved it. Quiet, and works well.

2 Likes

We had an Asko DW installed when we remodeled in 1997; still going strong in 2015 when I sold the house. I loved it; very quiet.
I believe the Asko is comparable to the higher end Bosch DWs.

3 Likes

We had a Bosch. Died at EXACTLY 10 years – almost to the day! (“average” DW life is supposedly 10 years). We have to replace with one specific Bosch model again. It is the only model that fits our custom built, mid-century cabinets which are not standard depth. :slightly_frowning_face:

Consumer Reports recently published their recommendations for DW’s. If not a subscriber, you can often find a copy online through your library system.

2 Likes

We had an Asko dishwasher in the kitchen at work, and that machine rocked.

1 Like

I was with my parents in April when they bought a Bosch dishwasher. Their model does have a food grinder/disposal inside. The lower end model they also looked at did not.

1 Like

We have had a lower end Bosch for 6-7 years and still love it.

1 Like

Husband ended up getting a Maytag at a good price and installing it himself. Seems great so far. We lived with that subpar dishwasher we had before that pretty much anything seems great!

1 Like

I need a suggestion for some of those small shopping bags that fold up really small to keep in your purse (to avoid plastic bags). I’ve seen people mention them before but have never bought them. I have plenty of the Trader Joe reusable shopping bags and several cloth tote bags that I keep in my car for grocery shopping, but want something that fits in my very small purse.

What are your favorites?

1 Like

I really like my Baggu reusable shopping bags. Keep one in my wallet on a chain! They fold very small and are really lightweight. I also bought some off-brand bags from Amazon, but I like them less.

3 Likes

My kids are now 22 and 19. Their elementary school sold Chico Bags as a fundraiser one year. They are still going strong!

1 Like

+1 to the Baggu bags. A great size for use, a really compact size (thinner) for dropping in your purse.

I have a couple of the "standard"size

Edited to add that I did pick up a couple for stocking stuffers at Ikea as well - Ikea brand and cheaper - not sure how they hold up because I didn’t use them myself much!

1 Like

Envirosax/Omnisax are my favorite. The hard part is picking which designs you want! I’ve got several–they go in my purse and always thrown in my suitcase. The.y also sell sets of five that come in a pouch.

Thanks - I will check out these suggestions.

I also have an assortment. I have a nylon one that I keep folded in my purse that has a tiny pouch that i keep attached to the bag with a ribbon. I also have a lot of bags I’ve acquired over the years that I leave in the back if my car in the pouch they store in—some are the cheap off brand I bought on Amazon for about $1-$2 apiece in a big set one Christmas.

The ones I really like best are the canvas ones, because they have some body but they are bulkier and take up more space to store. Mostly those live in the hall cupboard.

Sometimes the cheaper bags do need a little repair work over the years but i’ve had all the bags for many, many years.

One thing I like about the Chico bags is the pouch they fold up in is attached and very small. I have a few other fold up into a pocket bags and the pocket is not as small as the Chico bag pouch. And I have a few that had a separate pouch that they fold up into and then the pouch got lost.