Random Questions

Can you elaborate on what shouldn’t be used for LVP floors? Just got LVP floors in the sunroom and was planning on using our usual vac.

Well, Bunsen, I almost didn’t click on that link 'cause I thought - oh Dyson - hundreds and hundred of dollars, certainly. But $84? That looks perfect! Thanks!

Arisamp- What’ve read is that LVP shouldn’t have the rotating brushes of usual vacuum cleaners b/c they can damage the finish. I’m not 100% positive everyone agrees- but it’s taken so long to get these floors installed that I do t want to take any risks!

No, you still need a $$$$$ Dyson to go with that! :laughing: But no stick had ever beaten a Dyson in my hands.

Haha - oh well! :laughing:

I’ll keep looking. :blush: My hub likes quality but I’m still trying to find something a tiny bit on the affordable end…! Lol

As my grandfather used to say, “we are not too rich to be able to afford cheap stuff.” Seriously, I sent a Miele stick, an Electrolux stick, and a Roomba to Goodwill. Dyson stick is the way to go IMO. For the price of those three combined, I could have bought a second Dyson stick! :laughing:

5 Likes

The problem with rotating brushes on a solid surface is not that they will always damage the surface… they only damage it if a solid object gets into the brush (a rock, a chard of glass, etc.). The main issue is that rotating brushes will send these objects flying sideways instead of letting the vacuum suck them up. Hence, soft brushes do a much better job than the rotating ones on solid surfaces. Rotating brushes rock on carpet though!

1 Like

What kind of Dyson do you have?

I think it is V8. Use it on rugs and furniture. Got it at Costco a while ago. I also have a small one for hardwood floors; keep it in the laundry room for quick cleanup of litter dust and cat hair.

The head of this Omni-glide pivots and rotates allowing cleanup close to baseboards, and it is so lightweight that it can be easily used on the stairs. Warning tough: this Omni will not work well on rugs. Solid surfaces only.

That is actually a great price for Omni. $349!

1 Like

Thanks ! I have a larger (plug in) Dyson for rugs but most of my flooring now is hard surface. They are so expensive that I hesitate to spring for another one. The first Dyson I owned a piece of plastic broke (not something replaceable but now redesigned) and I swore I wasn’t going to get another one but after buying two more cheaper (but still good) vacuums I bit the bullet and bought another because I missed it so much. Husband actually bought a battery pack vaccuum (and he actually loves and uses it) but I know a Dyson would probably be 10 times better. I just really hate to add to my “vacuum collection”. But I probably will, LOL.

One more question: The motor on some of the cordless Dysons (like the V8) appear to have the motor at the handle so are you handling the weight of the vacuum the entire time you use it ? Versus having the weight near the floor as for most vacuums.

The motor is super light! It feels lighter than the wand of my canister Miele.

And the Omni one is like a feather.

ETA: Costco periodically has great deals on Dysons. Easy returns if you don’t like what you bought.

2 Likes

So the Omni is cordless? How long does the charge last? And not just new. How long does it last 5 years later? I loved my Riccar vacuum. It lasted 22 years of heavy duty wear and tear. My 5 year old Miele is Ok, but it exhausts me. I can do a million pull-ups and push-ups and run for 3 hours, but I swear I get more tired every Sunday after 1:30 of vacuuming. I would need it to last a solid hour. And I have had some cordless stuff in the past in my old house. They would work great when we bought them (though that house was much smaller and didn’t take as long), but 18 months later I’d be lucky to get 15 min between charges. Of course that was 20 years ago. Maybe tech is better.

$350 is pricey but maybe I could ask for Xmas. I’m not getting any younger, lol. I would still use the Miele for carpets.

1 Like

I only had the Omni for 2.5 years so can’t attest to the battery life over 5 years. I use it mostly for cleaning pesky cat artifacts like litter they dig out of the boxes, hair, shreds of sisal around their scratch posts, loose bits of catfood, etc. Love that little sucker. Generally, one charge lasts me enough to go around the ground floor of about 1,200 sft (that also has a bunch of rugs that the V8 takes care of). My Mieles now live on the second floor and in the basement where the wtw carpets are.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s helpful to know. The thought of vacuuming tomorrow is just not appealing right now.

That $350 Dyson is not a bad price, Bunson!

Our Meile and upright regular vacuum are on their last legs. Have carpet on whole second floor and basement and LVP/hardwood on most of first.

Been also trying to think what combo of vacuums to create! (and not break the bank!).

Wondered if anyone has used this Shark (rhapsodic reviews & supposed to be good for allergies?) for carpet areas and then a good quality stick for the hard areas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Q4DRJW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

My daughter has a similar older model Shark that she feels works pretty good. We bought her a Dyson Animal cordless V10 and they absolutely love it. They have two dogs and they go on the couches so it works great. They do use the shark for the carpet in the bedrooms.
I bought hers from Dyson for $100.00 off when they were having a sale.
I have a vacuum collection. I have an old Sanitaire upright that I use in the carpeted bedrooms. I have a Miele canister I use on my hardwood floors. I bought the Dyson cordless Cyclone V10 from Costco. I use it when I want to do a quick clean of the hardwood floors and the area rugs. It came with several different attachments. It can turn into a smaller handheld for the furniture and car. It works wonderful but I have a huge complaint that it’s really hard to detach the canister to empty.
My older daughter had a Dyson corded animal vacuum and she hated it. She had a dog with long hair and she felt it was always getting clogged. She replaced it with a Miele canister.

1 Like

Mom60- sounds like the Dyson (animal) stick is better than corded - if you can deal with the canister emptying issue…? Would you get the stick again?

I love my corded animal Dyson. One of the things I really like is how easy it is to empty the canister.

I was looking up all these Dysons yesterday and they do vary considerably on battery life for cleaning time. Always a tradeoff. Also the size of the cleaning head, weight, recharge time, and price (!)

I like my Sharks but the cansiter emptying isn’t as easy as the Dyson.

I’d get the cordless Dyson again. It’s so easy to take out and and do a quick vacuum. I can do different parts of the house without having to plug and unplug a corded vacuum. We first bought the V8 on sale from Bed Bath and Beyond but I found it didn’t have the strength of the V10 I gad used at my daughter house.

1 Like

We will also have a good part of the day in Albequerque before our 4 ish flight. Other recommendations??