Random Questions

I would have no problem buying online - if I knew what to buy! The descriptions often give vague info. I sometimes look at the reviews and search “bulb” and sometimes someone will say what worked for them.

I let my husband do all lightbulb purchases since his father ran an electrical wholesale supply store. And even he now struggles with all the new options.

Edit: send a link to the lights and we’ll all try to figure it out!

Well I bought them - the handyman will let me know tomorrow morning how I did!
(My husband goes pretty good with Home Depot etc buying but he does NOT get the new light bulb revolution!)

1 Like

What kind of issues are you having? As far as I know there are only two basic sizes of the base (maybe not???) so is the problem getting something that fits inside the cover or shade? Something that puts out the right color and/or brightness of light? I must have really boring lamps and light fixtures because I can’t remember ever having this problem. Like the others said, post pics or details and surely someone can help!

That’s part of it - new lights so it’s not clear the size of the opening - does it need a round one, short one, oblong, etc

Do the ones that work with a dimmer have to be on a dimmer?

What color glass fir the Edison type bulbs? Clear, amber…

Smart bulb? Not smart bulb? Approved in areas with water nearby? (Like above a kitchen sink) Or not?

Led, halogen, etc

If you have a “size” - often a series of letters/numbers - they are not arranged on the shelf in any organized manner.

Let me tell there were several men looking at the same time and they were stumped!

2 Likes

Agree, not so simple! We spent a lot of time figuring out how many lumens we needed for the kitchen overhead when we were replacing it. Not as easy as 60 vs 100 anymore!

https://www.lampsplus.com/ideas-and-advice/the-most-common-light-bulb-questions-a-light-bulb-faq-guide-from-lamps-plus/

3 Likes

Some answers (ask me how I know!):

If they work on a dimmer, they will work with on/off (non-dimmer) switch.

LED, not halogen. Incandescent and halogen are being discontinued for energy efficiency reasons.

Easiest solution is to search for your specific ‘size’ on the internet and select from there, Or take that info (or bulb) to a lighting supply store contractor window - but these will be more expensive than online ordering.

2 Likes

Good to know about the dimmer situation.

And I knew LED with our preference of light shade was best!

Good tips

Good luck with the lighting, abasket! I find the choices overwhelming too (sooo many shades and warmth/coolness, etc.)

To return to the ‘helping frizzy hair’ topic … after that discussion I asked my other hairstylist for a tip in new shampoo (thought my old one making my hair frizzy). She said definitively: Olaplex.

I then went to a local Ulta and explained my plight to several of the young women working there (hair more frizzy lately, won’t hold a curl the way it used to, reacts to the tiniest bit of moisture) - they all said - Olaplex No. 3 pre-wash conditioner (on damp hair) for at least 15 min then Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. Apparently it’s got some new, unique tech for bond-building.

So I sprung for a combo kit and it is working great! Didn’t even need to use the Revlon brush dryer to smooth it - just air dried and used hot rollers and some Aragon Oil.

Had to pass along :blush:

I actually started using Olaplex 4 based on what I read here months ago. Really like it. I have thick, slightly wavy hair. I can easily go 3 days with one shampoo.

1 Like

Thanks! Will have to try this and some of the other options mentioned above!

1 Like

Any recommendations on kitchen fire extinguishers? My recollection is that A/B/C would give the most versatility, so I’m confused by a review recommendation of B/C for best kitchen unit. (In our case we’d use it elsewhere too.)

Ideally we can find White again since we keep it out, tucked into a counter corner near the fridge. Nothing wrong with the old one, but our city is accepting them this week, and ours are from 1993 (going to recycle) and 2007 (going down to the basement workshop).

I am thinking of getting one of these: Use A Fire Blanket To Put Out A Grease Fire

4 Likes

On the store websites I noticed fire blankets too, something new to me. Seems like a good idea.

2 Likes

I saw those fire blankets too! They looked interesting - but I’m in a “shopping restriction” period. Maybe in future!

Very good idea. A relative had a grease fire in their kitchen while pan-frying something. They panicked and instead of putting a lid on the pan dumped the contents of the pan into the sink… no item large enough to cover it. A fire blanket would have been handy.

2 Likes

This must be a fire blanket specifically made for grease fires. We had a grease fire in the Subject-Formerly-Known-As-Home-Ec room at the HS where I worked before retirement. All the lab-type classrooms had wool fire blankets intended for clothing fires. The teacher threw the wool blanket on the flaming grease fire. You can guess what happened—no damage to the building, fortunately, but we spent a lot of time outside while the fire department responded then analyzed what had happened.

I see conflicting info. Some fire blankets tout their ability to combat grease fires. But other info online says not appropriate.

Buy from reputable sources, like REI.

This one is made of fiberglass.

https://www.rei.com/product/191854/sol-emergency-fire-blanket

4 Likes

While cleaning our dining room light fixture today 2/6 bulbs dislodged and fell apart (20+ yrs old). Got a decorative bulb dimmable flame shape. It had a standard base. I looked online and chose led with soft white, clear from Lowe’s. Worked perfectly. Their site helped choose the brightness and type.

3 Likes