Random Questions

Serious question. Can anyone explain the Kardashians to me?

@VaBluebird : I think the better question is, Can anyone explain the American people to me?

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t follow them at all but I would equate them to maybe bring a royal watcher. Just waiting for the next scandal to happen!

Any Chicago recommendations? We’ve been several times - so we have done the usual touristy things. Love hanging out at Millenium park and getting deep dish pizza. I’ll be working most of the week, but will have one sunday and the evenings free. Looking for atypical or recommendations from locals. We will be there the first week in November. Thanks.

Not sure where you are staying or what you like to do but some thoughts:

• explore a neighborhood like Chinatown, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park
  • lots of great restaurants in Fulton Market/West Loop area but would suggest getting reservations now.
  • Hamilton is in town at the Nederlander on Randolph through the end of the year, I believe.
  • check schedules at The Goodman, Chicago Theater and Second City
  • rent a Diivy bike and ride along the lake ( weather permitting!)

Have fun!!

2 Likes

The Driehaus Museum is amazing and totally worth visiting. They aren’t open in the evenings but they are open Sundays.

Second City Chicago would make for a very fun night and you can also see what’s playing in one of the many theaters or go to the symphony.

Navy Pier’s pumpkin lights runs until 11/3.

1 Like

Not a local thing, but we really enjoyed the Frank Lloyd Wright home / museum in Oak Park outside of Chicago. It’s on our bucket list to do an architecture river tour in Chicago.

3 Likes

The Spice House in Evanston, Ill. Took a culinary tour of Chicago and it was on it. It looks like you’re going into a Harry Potter store for wands. We order there online for our spices and give gift cards as gifts.

1 Like

I started doing city river (and ocean) cruises when I did the Circle Line that circumnavigated Manhattan. It was an amazing experience, eye opening (there’s an actual forest on the north tip of Manhattan!) and a unique way of seeing a city - I love architecture and history…and water. The tour above is all of those!

4 Likes

I was in Chicago in August for a conference. A group of us debated taking that tour but wound up being too tired from the conference. Now I wish we had done it!

The Chicago Architecture society does a wonderful boat cruise but also fabulous walking tours. Tours | Chicago Architecture Center

You can also get ideas of where they go and do them on your own if timing doesn’t work out.

I love walking around Astor St and we’ve also done the Art Deco Skyscrapers in the Loop tour.

1 Like

While this thread seems to be in the Chicago frame of mind :smiley:… I’ll be there a good part of the next 6 months on and off (and maybe longer) and would love suggestions of things to do. Low cost/free is a bonus (eg “Sundays are free here”) but not a requirement. Just wanting to dive deeper than a tourist.
I’ll be living in the west suburbs (Naperville).

ETA: But I love the city and have friends in Lake Forest so don’t limit suggestions to the west suburbs.

TIA!!

1 Like

Near to Naperville:
Morton Arboretum (need to buy tickets in advance but big enough to spend the entire day)
Cantigney Park

In the city:
Lincoln Park Zoo and the Lincoln Park Conservatory (free)
Garfield Park Conservatory (free)
Just walking around and exploring different neighborhoods - Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River Walk, WickerPark, Andersonville, walking the 606 trail

Worth the drive:
Starved Rock State Park

2 Likes

The towns of Batavia, Geneva, and St. Charles are charming to walk around or bike along the river. Geneva in particular used to be great for window shopping, cute shops.

This museum moved from Elmhurst after we moved from Hinsdale, but I always enjoyed it. Great gift shop, too!

“Wednesdays are Free Admission Days sponsored by RBC Wealth Management.”

Fermilab

https://www.fnal.gov/pub/visiting/index.html

Waterfall Glen is a nice place for easy hikes or biking. It was actually named for a man named Waterfall.

2 Likes

St Charles! I couldn’t come up with the name! +1 to spending an afternoon there.

Dont forget to get Portillo’s food! Their famous Chopped salad, a Chicago dog and their epic chocolate cake! Lemon cake too I think!

2 Likes

In addition to Portillo’s, highly recommend Chicagoland visitors pick up some Garretts.

Naperville itself has a lovely riverwalk. They should also have a lot of holiday events.

1 Like

:drooling_face: Garrett’s

I used to live on Michigan Ave and worked in the Loop. The aroma wafting from the Garrett’s I had to pass every day was addicting. So hard to just keep walking…

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone! I’ll definitely check these places out.

St Charles is one of my favorite spots to walk along the river. I was there a couple weeks ago and watched college football at one of the sports bars/restaurants.

I’ve also walked the trails at Danada nature preserve (I think that’s the name) in Wheaton.

Do you have any favorite venues for opera or Broadway shows? Is it best to go to the theaters in the city or are there venues in the suburbs?

You can’t beat the Lyric for world class opera but Northwestern’s Beinen School of Music puts on fabulous shows (at a fraction of the cost).

There are a bunch of theaters in the Loop where you can see broadway shows. (And also lesser known shows at NU).

Wheaton also has a community theater that I’ve heard is pretty good (but can’t speak directly to the quality).

2 Likes
1 Like