Random Questions

Only “almost,” you might wait a while for a patio rug review from me. Unless I jump, at my local deep discounter, but those are made from some recycled plastic that looks like sisal, probably never really get “wet.” (Not in a color or pattern I like, so far.)

Otoh, I did the diligent reviewing for an 8" "bed in a bag"mattress, last year- some say too hard, too soft, moves off the frame, smells, only good for a lightweight kid, you name it. The positives overwhelmingly outnumbered complaints. The mattress is fabulous, just right, now on the guest bed in D2’s room.

I finally went to the beach with my long sleeve zip up swim jacket. It was a bit icky to peel off the arms while wet but in every other way it was great! How very nice to not have the inevitable sunburned chest and shoulders.

D3 got burned and is regretting it now. It seems that everyone needs to go through it once and then learn to be wary next time.

@lookingforward - I am in the market for exactly that kind of mattress for S’s room, which will also be a guest room. It’s probably only going to see some use a few times a year when he’s home. Would you mind sharing the brand? I’ve been lazy when it comes to reading reviews…

On Amazon, “Home Life Harmony Sleep 8” Pocket Spring Luxury Mattress, Full, White" and this frame,
“Sleep Master SmartBase Mattress Foundation/Platform Bed Frame, Full.” Shipping was faster than projected for the mattress. They said 8-10 days (I forget,) but it came in 3 or 4. Wrapped up, the mattress is heavy and unwieldy. Opens like on the videos (self inflates, pretty neat.) The firmness/softness is exactly what I like and some very heavy people have slept on it, no issues. Hope you like it.

Also, if you do read reviews, the mattress isn’t exactly standard size, look at the measurements. It’s no big deal, to me, considering the price, the whole kit for about $200 and right now free shipping if you’re Prime. I got Full.

Speaking of sunburn…

I just had a bout of squamous cell skin cancer, so I am trying to be better about sunscreen. I wear contacts. No matter what I do, I seem to end up getting sunscreen in my eyes and it HURTS. Does anyone have a recommendation for a high SPF sunscreen that doesn’t sting if you get it in your eyes?

I put in my contacts first and wash my hands, but I always seem to get a little in my eyes…sometimes a few hours later when I sweat or rub my eyes without thinking.

Any help? I kind of need the “Johnson’s No More Tears” of sunscreens.

Jonri, take a look at this sunscreen from Shiseido

http://www.shiseido.com/ultimate-sun-protection-lotion-wetforce/0730852119543,en_US,pd.html&cgid=suncare&

I use the regular version of this (not sensitive) and have been very pleased with it. I have fair skin and live in Florida half the year. I use it on my face everyday and put my makeup on right over it. Some people complain about the whitish cast from the zinc oxide, but in my experience the white color fades away as the product is absorbed. Plus my foundation covers it. Most importantly, it’s 50SPF and works. It’s expensive but one bottle lasts me a really long time. If you want to try it, I’d go somewhere like Sephora so you can return it if you don’t like it.

@GRITS80 Thanks!

Jonri, for your face, you can use this - it is a pure, mostly inorganic sunblock, just sunblock, and nothing else (no creams). It can be used with your favorite moisturizer or nothing at all.

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/skincare-sun-protection-uv-essentiel-140248/sku/140249

It is a tiny bottle, but it lasts for a long time.

As far as eyes go, please, please, please, ALWAYS wear your sunglasses. Your photoreceptors will thank you.

@motherofdragons- Costco would have refunded your money (for whatever the $ is in their system if you didn’t have the receipt, but they may have been able to look it up the purchase in their computer.

@jym626 I didn’t want to drag the giant, stinky, soggy rug back to Costco, lol :slight_smile: It would have cost me more to get the car cleaned afterwards than the rug originally cost.

Ya got a point :slight_smile: How big was that thing?

Those rugs are HUUUUGE! We put one under our kitchen table because it was cheap and presentable, and I could not care if foodstuff got dropped on it. There is no way I would put it on the stone deck… it will never dry and will be coated in moss and slime in no time.

@jonri - I had the same problem. The culprit in my case was the sunscreen in the BB cream I was using. I would have bouts of wear it looked like I was crying.
The last two years I’ve purchased a “sun” sampler from Sephora. It contains a lot of different large size samples of different sun screens and a couple of self tanners. I like that I can try different brands without breaking the bank.
The brands I’ve liked -algenist, Peter Roth, Clarins. If I’m at the beach I will use Hawaiian Tropic Faces. I also like their body sunscreen.
I tried this summer CeraVe Invisible Zinc for both body and face. It was expensive and at least on my body never became invisible. I looked ridiculous. I returned the opened package to CVS.
I also carry in my purse ColorScience mineral powder sunscreen. I use it if I’m out and I feel I’m getting a lot of sun on my face. It is a powder and brush applicator all in one. A little goes a long way.
i wear a Sunprotection dress that I bought from Athleta about 4 yrs ago if I’m out on the water for a long period of time or if I’m snorkeling. It is difficult to get it off when wet. I find I get hot if I wear it just sitting on the sand.

Does anyone refer to themselves as an ‘artisan’ or is it a marketing term?

Very random: I sometimes wonder how many threads others have bookmarked.

I’m now up over 400.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1867087-how-many-cc-bookmarks-do-you-have.html

Yow. Thought I was bad. Thx for the link.

As long as you turn off notifications, I’ve considered it a much better experience…typically just checking my Bookmarks, and only looking at the Latest Posts thread or Parent threads when I have time.

2610 with notifications off.