Random Questions

She is. HS student. If she is visiting to do a college tour and info session, that’s another thing.

No one is explaining exactly what they have an issue with? Just because she is in high school? Why does that make it an issue? Is it concerns about sexual intimacy or other puritanical thinking?

Not puritanical. Just think a five day visit during mid-terms is inappropriate. But what do I know…I’m just mom :wink:

@jym626 I always love your posts, but I’m totally missing your point here. Most college students in the US aren’t old enough to drink. Plenty of HS students visit college campuses and stay over, not just to see BF/GF, but also friends and siblings. They don’t usually fly to get there, but that’s another issue.

Anyhoo, this is really on the college student. “Look honey, I’ve got midterms; this weekend’s not good.” Unless he really had the exams under control, then it really doesn’t matter the timing. I can see @tonymom 's right to object, but she can’t control the GF or her mom.

As an aside, as laid-back as my own parents are, there is no way in hell they would ever give me money to go flying around to visit my HS sweetheart.

Can fully understand a mom’s angst about first ever midterms for her son at Yale.

We cross-posted, @skieurope. And yes that post was brief and probably not clear. There is plenty of underage drinking on college campuses. If I had a HS aged daughter who had not yet really spent any time visiting/staying over for a weekend at a college campus, I’d probably be thinking about the kinds of activities that might be available ( never mind that I’ve been to my share of parties at the Yale residential colleges, but it was in the stone ages when we could drink at 18). The judgment of a mom sending her daughter, just a few months into her senior year, on a plane to visit BF at college during midterms is… the subject of this discussion.

OK, I agree with you on that part. @jym626

I sent you a PM @skieurope . Also- it looks like something is missing form the earlier post (my bluetooth ipad keyboard has “issues”) but I dont recall what I said earlier when I posted it.

I got you PM @jym626 . As to a post getting lost or mysteriously edited, that’s beyond my expertise. :slight_smile:

Its my ipad keyboard. It does weird things, and when I try to edit it deletes stuff, or inserts punctuation, etc. Adds letters too.

Any experience Mazda convertibles. Had my Lexus SUV for about 12 years and really wanted to keep 2008 BMW 135i convertible (bought used) for as long. H is tired of unexpected repairs and so I am back to looking again. Work is less than 15 miles ea way, 1/2 hwy (speed limit 55-65) 1/2 surface street.i want zoom zoom power. I got this one on way out of dealer after test drive of a mini. May go back to BMW maybe a 2 series. Not a fan of Mercedes dealers service. Don’t think I will go back to Lexus, drive isn’t fun I prefer to pay cash, husb is more inclined to lease 3 yrs with car that has service included. Son is out of college so no kid expenses, H car is BMW X1. I don’t like to park large cars. THX

Lamom- what about a Porsche Macan. I’m a former BMW X3 driver. My H also got tired of the repairs. I replaced it with a Mercedes GLK 350. Still has zoom but not the zoom zoom power of the BMW. I get mine serviced at an independent garage. I test drove the Porsche and loved the pick up. It was over budget but it was heavenly.

I’m very fond of Mazdas-they’re a lot of fun to drive, usually fairly safe, and not expensive to buy or maintain.

I’m also very fond of mercedes and the new convertibles are lovely. Get the extended service warranty and the service department gives you a nice mb loaner when they’re working on your car. Maybe find another dealer-ours has amazing customer service.

The Infiniti G37 convertible is pretty sweet. Lots of tech on the Infinitis.

Can’t speak to Porsches and BMW’s, for german cars MB has my heart :), and for various reasons those two brands leave me cold.

However if you like german cars, the Audi A3 and the TT might fit the bill for you. A lot of my neighbors have defected to Audi from Acura and MB in recent years.

sorry to change subject – but are you seeing all sorts of posts with asian lettering in the titles? what’s going on??

I see those on my phone, but not on the PC.

They’re shutting them down as fast as they can.

Random question (isn’t this what this thread is for???)…
Who has a good solution to this: bought a jar of natural almond butter from Costco. There is a good amount of oil on the top of the jar. Trying to “stir it” with a fork or knife is not very effective. Still oily, still not mixed well - plus I’m making a mess! Anyone have some brilliant way to fully mix natural PB w/oil - without losing half of it by putting it from jar to blender and then trying to scrape out!!!

Well, my first tip is to buy Teddy’s Peanut Butter. It’s natural but it doesn’t separate. Tastes great, too!

Otherwise, I’ve heard of two tricks. One is to store it upside down so when you use it the peanut butter will be at the top (sans oil of course). The other is that once it is stirred to store it in the fridge where it won’t separate as much.

Also, try microwaving it briefly before stirring.

I just pour that oil off. It doesn’t affect the taste for me. :slight_smile:

Or you can take it to a Benjamin Moore store and ask them to give it a good shake in their paint shaker. :wink: Just kidding.

^^^ Literally, that is what I think it needs - a good jolt by the paint can machine!

I’ve bought other natural PB’s - but wanted to give this almond butter a shot. I think I may pour the oil off - I like it thick (with my apples!) anyway!