Random Questions

Hah! That would be a funny thing to try, walking in with a jar of peanut butter. :slight_smile:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1347-peanut-butter-mixer

Cook’s Illustrated recommends this gizmo for stirring the peanut butter but I haven’t actually tried it. I have stored the peanut butter upside down for a couple days to make the mixing a little easier.

I bought that once. I did stir and stir, which made a difference. However, as stated, I didn’t buy it again. Too much hassle.

^^That’s interesting - thanks for sharing ^^^ I need someone on America’s Test Kitchen test it for “what’s hot!” or “what’s not”!!! (you’ll get it if you listen to the ATK podcast!

I don’t understand why they sell PB that separates in tall, thin jars. They could make it a lot easier to just use wide, low jars which would make stirring much easier!

I buy the Kirkland almond butter for my H. It is hard to stir for the first 1/4 of the jar. It requires care to not end up with oil everywhere. I don’t pour it off because I find the butter is to dry to spread. Even with the oil the last part of the bottom is super dry. He puts it on bread so needs it somewhat spreadable. My oldest is allergic to peanuts and almonds give her a reaction. She uses cashew butter and it also has the layer of oil on top.
I like the chia flax seed peanut butter from Trader Joe’s. It also has a messy oil layer on top.

My (slow) technique is to slide a dinner knife down the inside of the jar and tilt it so a bit of the oil slides down to the bottom. Then I move the knife to another spot and repeat. And so on and so forth. Eventually it gets loose enough to stir with the knife.

When my pb starts drying out, I add a little Planters peanut oil to refresh it and make it spreadable again.

I just buy Skippy. :smiley:

Skippy has a natural PB, no stirring.

Watch out for the no-stir peanut butters–a lot of them have another oil added.

Jiffy

I used to make PB for my kids. I buy Jiffy for my husband. I don’t eat it. I’m too old to make PB. Or stir it up.

The 100% natural PB I grind in the health food section of the supermarket does not separate.

I grind peanuts in my Ninja imitation. No added anything. But I’m doing it for toppings (oatmeal, mostly.) Not sandwiches.

Yeah, I totally normally buy PB that is freshly ground and purchased in NOT the Jif aisle (I’ve bought Jif though too!) But I wanted to try this Costco Almond Butter to give it a try - not paying notice to all the oil separation!

They should package it in large heavy duty plastic pouches with a cap at the top for dispensing. That way you could massage your oils back into your nut butters.

You make it sound so dirty.

Hey, your mind went there @MotherOfDragons not mine. :wink:

The problem I have with name brand peanut butters is that most of them are full of added sugar. I just see NO need for my peanut butter to be sweetened. But most of the “natural” types do have all that oil separation. I will have to try the grind it yourself type.

Random question (thinking about as I have fun on a Saturday night folding laundry and watching the World Series) what causes the continued production of lint that collects in the filter, if the items have been washed multiple times before? And even if the wash is largely synthetics with little of any cotton that could continue to “shed”?

It’s that blowing around stuff from the Upside Down.