Ranking the UC's

<p>
[quote]
UCR also has other great programs, such as philosophy (one of the best places to study continental philosophy, concentrated at the graduate level, but accessible to hard-working undergrads)

[/quote]
Yes! UC Riverside is one of the very few colleges in the US that lets a student study some of that continental philosophy. I think UC Santa Cruz does too... I regret not having applied to more schools that have continental.</p>

<p>DRab -- Do you know which colleges and universities have a significant amount (relative of course to most schools) of continental philosophy that an undergraduate student could study? It's too late for me... But I'd still really like to know. If you prefer, I could PM you.</p>

<p>Ucb
Ucla
Ucsd
Ucsb = Ucd
Uci
Ucsc
Ucr
Ucm</p>

<p>I'm not too sure. I think the philosophy gourmet report is a good source, and then talkng to profs. I'll PM you in a few days.</p>

<p>I found out an interesting fact today: if you search "university of california" on Google, you actually get a pretty good ranking of all the UC's. Could someone at Google be a college nerd like us? I think it's likely.</p>

<p>(I think it's also interesting to note that USC gets thrown in somewhere between Davis and Santa Barbara.) ;)</p>

<p>Hahaha...that's probably sorted by the popularity of the websites. Still, very interesting.</p>

<p>Btw, I like how the ranking from google supposedly go:</p>

<p>UC Berkeley
UC System
UC Office of the President
UCLA
UCSD
...</p>

<p>I suppose Cal is ranked higher than the whole system. Go Bears!</p>

<p>Can someone please explain to me why everyone I know who didn't get into Davis got into Irvine? I'm not talking about 1 or 2 people by the way. I've noticed this trend after talking to about 10-15 people. </p>

<p>In my eyes, Davis is going to be shooting up in the rankings for '07. Partly due to the fact that it was misranked, and some other reasons too.</p>

<p>10-15 people whom you have talked to is a biased sample. But your argument makes sense, LOL.</p>

<p>i also notice this trend too. a lot of people at my school and outside of school have to go to irvine because they didnt get into davis. but that just happens to be the people i know. i do realize that there is not a big difference between their acceptance rate.</p>

<p>maybe this year davis acceptance rate will be lower than irvine</p>

<p>irvine again this year has a lower acceptance rate than davis. irvine and santa barbara also have higher average gpa and sat scores than davis. davis is the 6th ranked uc and also has the 6th lowest acceptance rate in the uc system, clearly behind uci and ucsb. davis has actually not been moving up at all recently in the rankings, while uci and ucsb have been. the trend is quite clear. i think this is unfortunant, because i believe uc davis is a fine institution, but hurt by its location. i imagine davis' location, not academics, is the reason its acceptance rate is so high, as most people would rather be in santa barbara or irvine than in davis.</p>

<p>Good point ucchris. </p>

<p>In it short period, UCI has risen as high as #36 in US News, while I dont think UCD has ever cracked the top 40.</p>

<p>I notice the same trend at my school, many kids who got into Irvine were rejected at UCD.</p>

<p>base on EE major
UCB
UCLA UCSD UCSB
UCD
UCI
......</p>

<p>C'mon, UCR has an EE major and it's worth of mentioning.</p>

<p>general undergraduate:</p>

<p>uc berk
ucla</p>

<p>ucsd</p>

<p>uci - ucd
ucsb</p>

<p>ucsc
ucr - ucm</p>

<p>im ucsd destined, by the way.</p>

<p>You forget the most important fact there is, UCD has double the research dollars of UCI. This puts UCD clearly ahead where it matters.</p>

<p>Faculty quality, student to faculty ratio, lab quality and availability are some other things that might matter. </p>

<p>But this isn't about EE, this is about general. Anyway, some of these still apply.</p>

<p>The Top Ten Right now would be </p>

<p>Berkeley
UCLA
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Santa Barbara
UC Santa Cruz
UC Riverside
UC Merced ( uc merced will be in the top five UC's in 15 years)</p>

<p>best medical school - UCSF takes out UCI and UcDavis easily and UCLA barely</p>

<p>UCLA = UCB
UCSD
UCD = UCI = UCSB
UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>

<p>That's almost correct, but UCSB consistently ranks below UCD and UCI over the past 10-12 years and will most likely continue to do so. It's basically a toss-up between UCD and UCI, but this year UCI ranked higher. So...</p>

<p>UCB
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCD
UCSB
UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>