Rate Chances at UIUC Gies or IU Kelley

Agreed. IU seems to check most/all boxes. Thank you.

So - Iā€™m not sure being in a major metro area matters for future career prospects. Thatā€™s schools specific - of course. but to meet your needs and with fashion.

why not FIT in NYC. UMN - Twin Cities - may be a reach, maybe not. Like IU, business may not work - but maybe a minor. Nebraska is one that would work for sure for both as would Cincinnati - which would also provide co-op opportunities - similar to Drexel.

Good luck

1 Like

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. Really appreciate it. His passion and interest in marketing and running his own thing is very obvious and I believe in his core DNA. But interest in specific industry such as Fashion could change as he exposed to other industries . So I am trying to see colleges where there is strong business management and marketing as major, with Fashion being a nice to have since it meets current interests.

1 Like

Fordham Gabelli school worth a look. The school has a strong business undergrad curriculum andā€¦

3 Likes

Fashion runs the gamut right - because it can be a widget like any product, can be merchandising, or design. Most kids will end up in - who knows. Iā€™m in automotive - donā€™t know about cars, not passionate about cars - but iā€™m 24 years in cars. It could be ATMs, it could be paperclips - it could be whatever.

I think - most colleges will provide a good experience. Some want the rank - but what if itā€™s a big schools with classes in the hundreds. Some do better in small schools.

Most big flagships will have connections and today, much of the recruiting happens on indeed/linkedin. My son goes to Bama for engineering (not urban but like IU, an hour from a city). Itā€™s an easy in but the Manderson school is well thought of. Tomorrow is the career fair for engineering - business today. Lots of companies but if you talk to parents on the facebook groups, most are finding their jobs on line. My son found his internship (now two summers) on line.

So find the right fit. Solid schools that your kid will get in - Arizona Eller - in Tucson. Arkansas Walton - in Fayetteville - cool cityā€¦growing area. Pitt - may be a tough admit - but apply soon - great program - since cost isnā€™t an issue.

You canā€™t say ā€œtopsā€ or will find him a job - thatā€™s a lot economy dependent (who knows in four years) - but if the market is good, thereā€™s just too many great schools.

The focused like a Babson or Bentleyā€¦the mid size like a U of Denver, College of Charleston, UNH, etc. or the large flagships - Iowa (not urban), and the others Iā€™ve mentioned in other posts, etc. I know one poster @EconPop is having good success at Dayton.

OK - i think you have enough to go on. :slight_smile: U Kentucky - another find one as in UT Knoxville or Michigan State (may be tough) - especially for supply chain these two - if he ends up liking this.

3 Likes

Once again, canā€™t thank you enough for spending time in responding and these pointers. Definitely a great help.

Thanks much for the suggestion. Will certainly review and see .

Pittsburg- which school were you referring to?

Pittsburgh - i.e. Pittā€¦not Pittsurg State :slight_smile:

U of Pittsburgh

Homepage | Pitt Business

1 Like

@wackerdude1 , I recently posted in another thread about a student looking for a Business and/or Economics fit at a school likely to admit GPAs in the mid 3ā€™s and good but not outstanding test scores. Iā€™ll just cut&paste some of what I put there.

The University of Dayton may fit a lot of your requests.

• It is a reasonable fit for admissions odds, given your sonā€™s GPA/ACT
  • For students interested in Business/Finance UDayton has the largest student-directed investment fund in America.
  • It has a very good Business Marketing major. Note that it includes classes like Calculus For Business, whereas some other universities that have very little math requirements for Marketing. My son has friends at others schools (U Houston for one) who are majoring in Business and/or Marketing and encounter much lower math requirements.
  • It ranks highly for its Entrepreneurial program/opportunities for students that seek that. Being in the Top50 on Princeton-Reviews.
  • It is a Catholic university (Marianist, to be exact) but my son, who is agnostic and a student at UD, feels very comfortable about that aspect of the school. In 2+years on campus, he has no complaints about the school being too religious.
  • Class size was a very important consideration when looking for options for S20. I was satisfied UDayton had the smaller classes I wanted for him, and that turned out to indeed be true. His freshman year, he had 2 or 3 classes each semester with 11-15 students in the classroom. Heā€™s had (what I consider to be) a great academic professor-to-student experience so far.

I donā€™t know if UDayton has any special programs for Fashion, but they do have a recently built Art Street Complex that is a small Arts community on campus, and includes a close-knit smallish (<100 residents) residential hall, a coffee shop, an outdoor covered performance stage, the college radio station, studios and classrooms. Here is a link to UDaytonā€™s Art+Design department.

My son has a class in the Art Street community this semester and has deemed the area appropriately quirky for creative types.

I second the suggestions to check out Marist and Drexel, and St Josephā€™s also. You can continue to keep Gies as your main target, but UDayton and/or these others might make good backups.

2 Likes

Thanks for detailed write up with first hand experience in Dayton. And along with post from @tsbna44 it certainly opened my eyes the importance of looking at additional parameters to find the right fit.

3 Likes

Quick update:

Got admits into business programs from Rutgers (Newark) , Temple (Fox) and Indiana - general admit. Submitted for Kelley review petition and it looks like they take 4-6 weeks.

Also got deferred from Fordham. Still waiting on UIUC Business, and Rutgers ( New Brunswick)

Question: if Kelley does not approve review petition, is it a good idea to go to IU anyways?

The standard admission for the second year into Kelley (for the current IU students ) seem to be very straightforward. Students who get at least B during the first year are guaranteed into Kelley starting second year. Not sure if there are any gotchas

In general, I believe if you want to study something, you should take the sure bet.

You still have time to apply to wonderful, direct admit schools.

How did you come with Rutgers Newark from Illiniois? I think with a 3.43 and 1280 you overstepped a bit - instead of IU and UIUC you need a Michigan State, Iowa, Mizzou, Kentucky type - for big schools. Arizona, Alabama, WVU, and Arkansas are all very solid safeties.

Cincinnati is big into co ops and could be a cheaper Drexel.

Temple is great - but check into the area. I donā€™t know it but thereā€™s been some pretty strong commentary related to safety on the chat here.

Best of luck.

At most schools you do not have to decide on the major till the sophomore year. But keep in mind, which are some possible majors you might want to pursue in business school.

if supply chain is a possible major then michigan state would be a contender. if pursuing a major with some technical emphasis like MIS then minnesota or arizona might be a contender. if undecided, then IU offers a lot of majors to choose from and would be a good option.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.