Read and be inspired by this brother who has overcome great odds to be in college

<p>"A.J. McLittle of Detroit made it back to college for his sophomore year.</p>

<p>He is living in a single room at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti.</p>

<p>He’s hoping to earn good grades. Make a good impression.</p>

<p>He’s hoping to be different — not a grim statistic from a city full of them.</p>

<p>McLittle comes from a place where more than 50% of the population is functionally illiterate and where only six of every 10 public school students graduate from high school.</p>

<p>His father and grandfather are ex-cons. His best friend is in prison. The guy he used to work with at the liquor store is dead — killed, McLittle heard, over an argument about another guy’s girl.</p>

<p>“You grow up around caution tape,” he said.</p>

<p>This is A.J.’s story.</p>

<p>It is a story about growing up in Detroit. It’s about moving away from home. It’s about world-weary desperation and youthful exuberance. This is a story about trying to escape the past because you want more for yourself than the adults who raised you.</p>

<p>More than anything, this is a story about a young man on the verge of the rest of his life."</p>

<p>Breaking</a> free from his past, EMU sophomore A.J. McLittle embraces a life without limits | freep.com | Detroit Free Press</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the article; it was inspiring. Makes me wonder how many kids like AJ are out there</p>

<p>God bless him. I hope he makes it. :)</p>

<p>me too. 10char.</p>