Ready To Party.....With Barbenheimer: NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Not sure it counts as spoilers so trying to be vague: is there a way to have a list of the songs in Barbie?
I recognized one in the trailer and wondering if there are other iconic songs from various decades.

Seems very easy to find the list of songs by googling. I haven’t seen it yet but sounds great.

1 Like

The soundtrack may be available in iTunes.

ETA:

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s almost all original music.

I loved the music and had to laugh that one of the songs that popped up several times in the movie is the song I belt out when alone in my car all the time!

1 Like

Thanks!
I’ve tried to parse out which songs might not be original. For instance, Barbie World is apparently not an original but I’m Ken is. I really don’t listen to enough music :woozy_face::smiling_face: to figure it out from the playlist. I guess it’ll be obvious once I watch the film.

1 Like

Realy enjoyed Barbie, more than I anticipated. Perhaps Greta hit you over the head a little bit with messaging, but that was fine by me. It was pitch-perfect in most spots and Margot and Robbie were great actors/characters.

So many funny one-liners!

3 Likes

This! The woman is brilliant. I will see this movie because of her. And I’m very much looking forward to it! And I do own pink!

As an aside, I am going to a baby shower for a baby girl this weekend. I’m hoping I can find a Barbie doll of any kind to include in my gift. I mean really…Any child born this year should get a Barbie doll!

9 Likes

Omg :100:!!

/Searches for a Barbie for Miss String Bean. :laughing:

3 Likes

Barbie World was a pretty big hit a long while back (maybe 90s?). It’s now stuck in my head whenever anyone mentions the movie.

2 Likes

We went to the matinee this afternoon to see Mission Impossible. I was pleased to see a large crowd of pink-clad movie goers waiting to get into Barbie :grinning:

2 Likes

you know, Barbie was entertaining. . I liked the sets, ken was fabulous, the women empowerment message was strong, but at times i felt preached at . . . which sort of overtook the entertainment away at times. Anyone taken a tween or younger to it?? wonder what kids’ reactions are. ?? We did dress up in pink; that was fun.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with this. I didn’t find it scary at all. The dissonant music put me on edge at times, but I realized it was more the music than what was going on. I am super sound sensitive.

I found the whole getting all of the greatest scientific minds to work furiously on something to be interesting. And the wrestling of emotions of what they were doing. But the story was just as much about oppenheimer himself, maybe even more so.

And I also found the creation of the Los Alamos lab to be fascinating. My Dad often went there for work in the 70s and 80s…

3 Likes

The tweens I saw seemed to have fun.

To be fair, it is rated PG-13. So buyer be warned.

A lot of the songs on the soundtrack are from the 90’s or so.

2 Likes

Saw Oppenheimer last night with H and youngest son (18).

All of us thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn’t feel like 3 hours. Music is perfectly coordinated to keep emotions high and on edge most of movie.

Excellent acting by Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, and Robert Downey Jr but especially CM.

5 Likes

Note to self - curtail liquid intake before the 3 hour Oppenheimer movie.

2 Likes

Just saw Oppenheimer, I wasn’t crazy about it. Fantastic acting, but it just seemed like it was unnecessarily long, and so much of it was about the Communist BS and politics. I realize the movie was about the man, but I think it would have been far more interesting if it had more information about the building of the bomb. I should have read more about him, but didn’t, so some of it was confusing. My youngest son asked if I thought they should have dumbed it down for me. Well, yes!:blush: It was not overly alarming, but I’d imagine it would have been many decades ago.

Saw Oppenheimer this morning (10 am showing). I thought it was very well acted and pretty closely followed the Bird & Sherwin biography, although the Stauss/Oppenheimer rivalry was probably played up more than needed.

I went prepared for IMAX. took a bottle of water, a sweater and a pair of foam earplugs because movie theaters are always too cold and IMAX is always too loud.

I was married to a Sandia Lab physicist for 30+ years (Sandia is where Edward Teller decamped to after the Manhattan Project ended to build his “Super”.) He actually had met some of the physicists from the original Manhattan Project and was an avid reader about the Project and its history. I wish he were still alive to see this film. I think he would have enjoyed it.

I saw the movie with my daughter who was a physics major and understood exactly who was who in the rooms during the Los Alamos Lab scenes (including Isabella Karle who was the woman who told her male colleagues her reproductive organs were better protected than theirs when they tried to exclude her from handling radioactive materials). She says that Oppenheimer is under-appreciated today and that his paper on the massive gravitation of stars was the first to discuss the possibility of supernovas.

SIL (theoretical physicist himself) had seen the movie before it was released. Since IAS (Institute for Advanced Studies) had allowed Nolan to film on the Institute grounds and had provided him with background materials for the script, IAS was allowed to premier the film at the IAS Workshop on Quantum Computation in Park City, UT last month. He saw it with about 80 other physicists and they thought it was pretty accurate, if overly dramatic in places. (Oppenheimer did indeed attempt to poison one of his professors at Cambridge, but not with cyanide. It was with a chemical that would have induced severe vomiting. Oppy immediately confessed to doing so to a classmate, who urged him to confess his actions–which he did. The poisoned cup was removed and no one was harmed. Cambridge sent him to a psychiatrist instead of expelling him.)

The one thing all 3 of us agreed on was that if they had only mentioned names of the characters a little more prominently it would have made it better. There were so many major scientists/brilliant minds involved with the MP. It would have nice to acknowledge them. For example, I didn’t even realize that Richard Feynman was even in the movie. I think the character may have had one or two lines and was never referred to by name.

Seeing the movie made me homesick for New Mexico. i miss it’s beautiful landscapes.

And a fun fact, D1’s nanny’s close friend was an extra in the movie. She was in the scenes in Oppenheimer’s classroom at Berkeley. She’s the female student (and there are only 3 of them) with curly reddish hair.

11 Likes

You might better enjoy Fat Man & Little Boy, a 1989 movie which had Paul Newman as General Groves, and it better explained the bomb making process. I don’t remember who played Oppy, but Cillian Murphy was far superior in that role. It also had John Cusack who played a fictional character but who was a composite of several real people.

2 Likes