Ready To Party.....With Barbenheimer: NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Interesting. I saw the movie with 2 GenZ 21-year-old women; will have to ask them specifically if they thought her speech resonated with them or seemed like ancient history.

3 Likes

Someone WAS ready to party… :laughing:

2 Likes

I would be curious of their opinion. I would guess some of it resonated, much of it they would have thought didn’t apply to them. At least I hope so. If all of it resonated, that would make me sad.

2 Likes

Got to see Oppenheimer today, in one of the 70mm IMAX theaters as Christopher Nolan intended. Fortunately for us, the theater was only about an hour away, and it was well worth the trip. Fantastic movie.

8 Likes

One of our group was the 22 year old daughter of my friend. She loved it and the message was meaningful to her. So a sample of 1.

5 Likes

I would like to see Barbie but not that excited about going to the theater and sitting with others who are eating/drinking and may be harboring who knows what germs for hours. I’m also interested in seeing oppenheimer but not sure when on that either.

5 Likes

I was listening to a guy review Oppenheimer on the radio, and it sounds like he felt he needed a fallout shelter after watching that movie. I understand the topic is pretty depressing, but did anyone feel miserable, worried and stressed after watching it?

1 Like

I’m wondering the same.

1 Like

Talk about taking Barbenheimer to the extreme, I just read a theatre in India was playing Oppenheimer with Barbie subtitles, don’t know if it was purposeful or not. Barbie, time to party (as the bomb goes off). :open_mouth:

Are the theaters still full? Even the matinees?

The big theater near me closed so there are no cars in that parking lot and I haven’t driven by any others to check the situation. I just assumed that like most movies, the first weekend is crowded and then it tapers off quickly.

2 Likes

I’m not in the mood for a sad and scary movie so not in a rush to see Oppenheimer. I. can’t imagine not being upset after seeing it, based on what little I know.

3 Likes

I saw Barbie with my sons last night. I teared up at one point, and enjoyed the sheer silliness of other parts. The visuals were gorgeous. Margot Robbie was fantastic and Ryan Gosling was hilarious as Ken. My eyes couldn’t take it all in fast enough. I had many Barbies and accessories and was delighted to see them represented in the movie.

7 Likes

It made me sad and anxious. My mother found it “terrifying”. My MIL, who sometimes seems to have no human emotions, didn’t see the big deal😉

If you had known how it made you feel, would you still have gone to see it?

My wife and I found it thought-provoking, not frightening. But the movie was as much a character study of the man Oppenheimer as it was about the power they unleashed.

I am looking forward to seeing it again at home when it’s released. The sound in an IMAX theater is certainly pretty good, but we were a couple of rows ahead of the optimal sound spot. Our home theater setup is better optimized for our seating positions.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’d never avoid a movie because it makes me sad.

2 Likes

I have definitely avoided movies where it’s about children being abducted or killed, or ones that feature horrifying medical situations. I avoided watching Saving Private Ryan for years, but then felt I needed to see it before visiting Normandy. What an amazing (though horrifying) movie. Same with Schindler’s List, only watched it because my son had to for an assignment.

1 Like

The only movies I avoid are dog movies.

5 Likes

Interesting convo re: Oppenheimer. I have been wondering if it would raise my anxiety level too much, especially sitting in a theater for three hours in front of a big screen. Maybe at home when it’s streaming.

I already am freaked by latest climate news (fragile Gulf Stream) and don’t need more apocalyptic worries right now.

This comments are confirming I should wait on it.

4 Likes

Edit: did not mean this to be a reply to @JazzyTXMom specifically–was meant to be to the thread overall.