Realistic Chance Me for Fifteen-Year-Old International Student (Indian)

Yeah, I’m not going to have a car :joy:
What is RDU? I’m sorry :sweat_smile:
But I can use public transport right? Like is it a feasible option for me?

RDU is the Raleigh-Durham airport. Idk about public transportation for move-in day. I’m not in college, nor applying, so I wouldn’t be the best one to ask that.

1 Like

As estimated by standardized scoring characteristics, UNC–CH represents the most selective school you have gotten into so far (note that the figures shown originated from an earlier version of the SAT exam):

1 Like

Look at each school’s Clery report for on and off-campus crime. For example, Hamilton College reported 13 rapes in 2019, which is not out of line with colleges of a similar size (unfortunately) (https://www.hamilton.edu/documents/clery/2020Clerybook.pdf

For city crime stats, just google [cite name] and crime stats. In any town/city one should always be aware of their surroundings and act accordingly.

Congrats on the UNC admission!

1 Like

Oh, I see!
Ahh yeah, your username kind of gave that away :joy: But thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Yeah, it is by far the most surprising decision given that I’m an international non-legacy student with virtually no real hooks. Moreover, like I said, it was my first application and it was average at the very best. @MWolf told me that it was a long-reach so I kind of gave up on it but that status update was wildly shocking!

Oh, okay, I’ll do that! I was told by a couple of friends not to believe those statistics because the colleges don’t usually release all the crime statistics accurately. Is it true that colleges are not mandated to release these statistics?

Yeah, that’s very true! The only school I’m actually very worried about is USC because I’ve read on various forums and articles that it’s located in a ghetto neighborhood and that off-campus, in the surrounding areas, there is a lot of discrimination against asians and that two of them were ever shot right outside the campus.

Thank you!

This is WONDERFUL news! This is a dream school for many US high-achieving high school students. And it is located in a rapidly growing tech-hub area, so there would probably be more opportunities for you.

Colleges are mandated to accurately fill out the Clery report each year. However, for many reasons, certain crimes such as rape and abuse do tend to be underreported.

I don’t know about the surrounding area of UNC, so will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable about that. Note that any medium to large city in the US will have gun violence, unfortunately.

Thank you! It was also one of my top choices!
I’m sure UNC will provide a plethora of opportunities and moreover, it has a pretty good CS ranking!

1 Like

Ohh okay. Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard!
No no I was talking about USC (University of Southern California). Yeah, I guess that’s kind of a given : (

There are forums specific to the individual schools on CC. As you narrow down your choices, you might want to go on there to ask about safety at specific schools.

Yeah, I am in most of these college-specific forums. I will do that!

I’m always happy to be proven wrong in situations like this. Many congratulations.

BTW - have you looked at Agnes Scott? Unfortunately, you missed the deadlines for most others.

The area around USC is a bit sketchy - we looked at it for my daughter, and my parents live in LA.

Back to something I wrote earlier - I still think that it may not be a bad idea for you to think about starting a year later. Some colleges will allow you to defer your start by a year, so you won’t need to reapply and hope that they will admit you next year as well.

In any case, congratulation again on UNC!

1 Like

You’re right - you can only apply to Agnes Scott via the Common Ap. Too bad.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard about that area!

I will actually consider taking a gap year if the college will let me defer, especially if the first year will be virtual.

Yeah, I should’ve planned it out earlier :frowning:

I think that you were not served well by your school counselor. Still, you have a few really good admissions, despite all that, if you choose to start college this year.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m happy with my current decsions!

1 Like

Update: I got into UVA!!

3 Likes