? regarding high school classes

<p>My main question was how many years of a consecutive foreign language did anyone have in order to be accepted to their nursing college. D has three years of Spanish (though the GS says 8th doesn't count for college). D wants to stop Spanish and concentrate more on her sciences and math. She is a rising junior this year.</p>

<p>What are her high school requirements? Ours were 2 years of the same language, however it was stressed that 3 is the bare minimum for most colleges.</p>

<p>I would think that three years in high school is acceptable, especially if she is choosing to take more science/math classes to be competitive. However, stopping at the end of sophomore year will definitely not be enough because the GC is correct in saying that 8th grade classes don’t really matter, plus I’m sure doing the bare minimum in FL will be frowned upon.</p>

<p>tl;dr: take 1 more year, stop when she is a rising senior. know requirements anyways.</p>

<p>A few of the very most selective colleges want 3 to 4 years of a language in high school, although that does not apply to most colleges. </p>

<p>Spanish is valuable, but sciences are more impt. </p>

<p>I’m surprised more nursing schools aren’t requiring Spanish. Most don’t require any language as part of the college curriculum. (German is disappearing from being offered by many colleges.)</p>

<p>If anyone is wondering about what classes to take in high school, take a look at the first year curriculum on the websites of a couple nursing programs. You will typically see biology, chemistry, anatomy, psychology, statistics, writing, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. D doesn’t want to go to far from home so Pitt would be out. We are outside of Phila. I don’t think she is looking at a big university (her sister is leaving this year for University Park so she has seen Penn State). I’ve looked at some colleges that offer nursing programs and most have the foreign lang requirement as 2 years. I feel she would benefit with not taking another year of Spanish and focusing on her sciences and math and doing well on the ACT and SAT.</p>