Registration materials

<p>S received a packet of info for registration from the Bus school but between APs, the prom, finding a summer job, and all the end of year activities and celebrations, he hasn't even registered for housing let alone classes. I am not so worried about housing as the housing office told me he should do it by the end of May, and that is quick, but I am wondering if he'll get the classes he wants. It says first come, first served. </p>

<p>Is it possible that Bus school freshman could be closed out of the classes they need to take freshmen year, like calculus? Are you incoming freshman or your kids all registered for classes?</p>

<p>S just received his registration packet from College of A&S on Monday (postmarked 5/12) with a return due date of 6/23. I would like im to get it done soon, but I think as long as he gets in before the deadline, he should be okay. I was looking on EASY and clicked on the math placement score. His calculus recommendation is already listed, based on SAT scores, but it says kids with lower placements can take a placement test at orientation and move up so I think there will be room in the math classes. The housing registration literally took 1-2 minutes. I think it was a total of 4 questions.</p>

<p>I am a little nervous about picking classes with all the choices available to him. My older son had a pretty structured courseload for the first year-I think his only choice was of a language. This one has more options, pre-med requirements and isn't even sure which language he wants. He has taken 4 years of French, but in wanting to go pre-med, has always had an interest in Latin but was unable to fit it in his HS schedule this year. Then there is the thought of taking advantage of the Miami culture and studying Spanish. I'm already tired thinking about it and this is only one course.</p>

<p>Okay, first things first.......housing. To me, this is more important than their class schedule right now. As you know, returning students have already signed up for housing. So of the remaining housing on campus it is a first come, first served thing. Remembering of course, that freshman are guaranteed on campus housing so no worries there, but I think that the best rooms (and yes, there is some differences) are given out first. There are some rooms which may be in a little worse location (think right accross from the elevators, accross from the trash shute, accross from bathroom.) Also, when matching roommates, I honestly believe (as does CaneSon) that they do try to match up with like studies. Case in point-CaneSon went in as Marine Science Major, roommate was pre-veterinary medicine. I'd get this done asap.</p>

<p>Next....schedule. If I remember correctly, no freshman is given choices with certain classes. They base math placement on ACT/SAT scores if you don't take the placement test. Son had junior college credit in calculus and was put in calculus I but decided not to take placement test. He was glad he did. Turned out that the Calculus I class was MUCH tougher than his junior college level class. Another section is English. All students are required to take English 105 so your students will be placed in this automatically. As far as the other classes, have them place their first choices and second choices in each category. If I remember correctly you number your choices according to need. i.e. CaneSon numbered his science choices Intro to Bio #1 and Intro to Marine Sciene as a #1 also. (He got both freshman year). There was only one class that he didn't get that he ask for freshman fall semester due to a conflict with a lab he had to have and that it would have given him to large of a credit total. He had 16 credits first semester and it would have been 20 otherwise. Too large for first semester!! </p>

<p>During CaneSon's two years at Miami he has had two classes that were full, and he ended up getting into both of them when his advisor found out they were full of upperclass students who did not need them for major but were being taken as electives. i.e. Genetics and Microbiology. Both are required for his major, and what they don't apparently tell you is that they "save" a certain number of seats for students who need it for their major, but it won't show up on EASY as being available. </p>

<p>my-3-sons, I'm curious as to why your son is looking at another language class? CaneSon's junior college level language transferred without problem, so he didn't have to take it again. (He had 4 years Spanish.) If he wants to take language again, I say congrats and go for it, but if he feels that it is just a necessary evil core class with four prior years of foreign language you might have him check to see if he got any dual enrollment credits which might transfer. I know CaneSon was thrilled to be done with foreign lang. He's a arts-n-sciences kid also. :) </p>

<p>Good luck all!!</p>

<p>Well, S is finally registered for housing (but he may not eat as he didn't pick an eating plan LOL). I know, he'll eat.</p>

<p>He really figured that there was no rush at all, given that he is required to buy an eating plan, and that freshmen are guaranteed housing. What I did not know, until I called the housing people today, is that the number he is given now stays with him for the next four years. And the lower the number, the better. So he could end up with a less desirable room next year, because he waited until now to sign up. Oh well, I guess he'll have to deal with the natural consequences of procrastinating.... However, if the roommates or any suitemates he finds for soph year have a lower number, he'll be in luck!</p>

<p>I am hoping that the fact that he now has a lower priority housing number may encourage him to read the registration stuff and move quicker on that.</p>

<p>S has had regular old HS language classes-no AP, therefore no credit. Last night he said he is going to take Spanish and while a language class would not be his first choice, I think with living in Miami it will be good for him to know the basics.</p>

<p>As for other classes, S was advised that since he intends to be pre-med, he should not accept AP credit to place out of any med school required courses (calc. bio, chem). The reasoning being that since GPA figures so highly in med school admissions you shouldn't jump over the classes that you can probably do very well in.</p>

<p>I was just wandering through the UMiami site and it says the max credits a freshman can carry is 17.<br>
Bio I & Lab 5
Chem I & Lab 4
Calc 4
Eng 3
Spanish 3
Total 19<br>
Hmm...Spanish or Calc may have to wait. The registration booklet says Biochem majors should take Bio I and Chem I or plan to take one next summer! The pre-med booklet says exceptonally strong students can take Bio & Chem but put Calc as a Soph year course. He is a strong student, but the fact that they used the word exceptional worries me. He really didn't want to take a break from math, but it doesn't seem as if Bio, Chem and Calc is a recommended combo. Aagh! </p>

<p>I think that he will just have to put down all of his choices and then ask a lot of questions when he meets with his academic advisor. He will probably also ask his current teachers advise. I know that this will all work out.</p>

<p>1tcm-Has your S felt that his advisor has been good in helping him plan his courses? We met with the pre-med office when we were on campus and felt very comfortable with how they work.</p>

<p>I would advise for them not to take too much that first semester. It is such a trying time for them, (not so much the college level work) as much as it is a learning time with time management. I can't say all for sure, but mine anyway had to learn how to manage to get everything done and in a timely manner. When Mom or Dad are not there to remind, push, or just in general help it can be confusing at first. CaneSon said he has learned to write things down on a calendar...something he NEVER would have done before. LOL</p>

<p>M3S- I would agree with you that Spanish or Calc may have to wait. Because English is a given, and in order to keep up with his pre-requisites he needs to get Bio and Chem started. CaneSon learned this the hard way. He started out as a Marine Science/Biology major. His course curriculum specified not taking Chem I freshman fall semester. A few months in he changed majors. So he started Chem I in the spring. Consequently, he had to take Chem II fall semester of his sophmore year and didn't get to start Orgo Chem when he needed. (Which is now part of his major....wasn't before.) So now he finds himself a rising Jr. and starting to worry about MCAT's having not had Orgo. His whole junior fall schedule now is nothing but hard sciences. We shall see how this goes? LOL As far as calc or spanish....I'd cut the Spanish. Especially if he only plans a basic course. Because if pre-med is the same as his major (MicroBio) he will need 3 consecutive math courses (Calc I, CalcII, and a statistics course). Better to get those started. </p>

<p>Let me calm your fears a little. CaneSon had no AP courses either, they were not available at our small rural high school. He did get dual enrollment credit however from the local junior college with some of his classes. Now since I no nothing of your school district I can't say for sure, but I do know, he did NOT struggle at all with Intro Bio or Chem. He was well prepared coming out of high school. Of course, he took every Bio and Chem course our high school offered, but I think as long as they have a good base in these courses your son should be fine. Now Calc.....was a different story. Our high school Math department sucked! So he struggled mightly with calc I, but after a few weeks of catch up he did much better even pulling out an A when he took Calc II. </p>

<p>As far as his advisor.....his freshman advisor for Marine Science was not that helpful. Personally, I think they were just TOO busy that first weekend. If he has any questions, I'd have him correspond by e-mail prior to getting on campus. Since he changed majors though, and got a different advisor he has been really happy. His advisor is the chair of the department, and he thinks she has been really helpful. She was his professor in one of his classes this past semester and he really enjoyed her teaching as well........</p>

<p>Let me know if I can answer any more...........:) Or at least try!! ;)</p>

<p>1tcm
Thanks so much for all the helpful info and suggestions-especially about corresponding with advisors early. I can see how they would be swamped that first week with all the incoming kids. </p>

<p>I really agree with trying not to overload new freshmen-that has been a concern of mine. S has had AP Calc, Advanced Chem and a college level Bio course so I think he is pretty well prepared. Kids from our HS have traditionally done well transitioning to higher level courses.</p>

<p>We are all really excited about his decision to attend Miami. I look forward to the day he will actually look at and use a calendar or even a watch for that matter. LOL</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hmmm....after reading this series of comments, we may need to rethink my son's registration (already submitted). Based on something we saw on the UM site for pre-meds, he planned to take Bio and Lab, Honors Psych (Bio and Psych are one of those combo classes) Spanish. English, and one of those UMX courses. For 14 credits. According to his math info on EASY, he shoudl take Math 111, but we didn't think that needed to be first year. We planned to make thisngs lighter the first semester at least. He could have AP credit for Chem, but thouht he'd see how school goes first before deciding whether to use it or not. (Has other AP's like US Hist) He planned to start the Chem series second year.
Also, we looked on the orientation website, as the schedule is now up. We see pre-law, etc. as a session for the students, but didn't see any pre-med sessions. Does anyone know if there are any for pre-med?</p>

<p>Anyone out there with experience in what to choose for first year classes as a Bus School student?</p>

<p>I didn't mean to scare anyone, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most students applying to Med school take the MCAT's spring of Junior year? My understanding is that you need to be through at least Orgo to take the MCATs, that is why my concern of starting Chem right away. Son probably could have finished in time but couldn't start Orgo this past spring (thereby finishing Orgo next fall) since the only Orgo I spring class conflicted with something else. The schedule shows more Orgo I classes offered in the fall. He may not end up taking it anyway, doesn't need for Grad school, but UM has a combined PhD/MD program in microbiology and thought perhaps it might be an option. </p>

<p>M3S and mishdoob.....be sure and visit here:
<a href="http://www.as.miami.edu/students/undergraduate/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.as.miami.edu/students/undergraduate/&lt;/a>
It will take you to the advising page for pre-med, and Arts and Sciences students. </p>

<p>Here is the Pre-medical guide. It is an .pdf file but should be very helpful.
<a href="http://www.as.miami.edu/students/advising/assets/Premed%20Guide%202005.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.as.miami.edu/students/advising/assets/Premed%20Guide%202005.pdf&lt;/a>
This includes a possible schedule. It shows Orgo I and II junior year but son tells me the girl across the hall took the MCAT this spring and said she was sssooo glad she got Orgo done before starting to study for MCAT. But perhaps it isn't necessary to be done early?? </p>

<p>Wish....here is the site for undergrad advising for business.....
<a href="http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/advising/our_advisors.jsp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/advising/our_advisors.jsp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Hope this helps all........</p>

<p>mish-
On pg.6 of the registration booklet it says the date and time of the pre-med orientation will come in a brochure this summer. It does sound like it will be during that first week. S is also looking to do one of the UMX courses. Is your S a neuroscience major? That is the other major S is considering (biochem vs neuro).</p>

<p>He will be home all afternoon, so I think we will really go over all the info and get this registration stuff done today. There are a lot of end of year events coming up so we would like to tie up as many loose ends as we can now.</p>

<p>1tcm-Thanks-I am so glad you're here!</p>

<p>Another useful site:
<a href="http://www.miami.edu/bulletin%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.miami.edu/bulletin&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks again 1tcm! </p>

<p>I just looked through the regis stuff (S is asleep after last night's Prom!) and it looks pretty straightforward, despite what at first seemed like very detailed instructions. I see that they aren't actually picking specific courses/course times but that a computer will do that for them. So I guess my thread about rating college profs is moot, at least for first semester or until kids think about dropping/adding classes at orientation. </p>

<p>S needs to take Math (Calc) and English. He did take Calc AB but needed a 5 on the AP exam, which he didn't think he'd get, so he skipped the test. Also, at least for Business, we were told that Calc at UM is more applied than what they get in Calc AB and so it is good to take it as part of the business classes at UM. Not sure what else S will want to take - probably macroeconomics, which my H thinks he should take before micro. I think Marine Science is a nice idea, since UM is known for that. But it is totally his call. I would like to see this regis done too, M3S!!</p>

<p>
[quote]
I see that they aren't actually picking specific courses/course times but that a computer will do that for them.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is correct. The computer will place them in open classes and make their schedule for fall semester freshman year. This is a big reason that you will find that most freshman get alot of early morning classes...the upperclassmen have already filled out the later afternoon classes. This is a good thing though it keeps them focused on getting up early and not staying out too late. :) After that though, they will need to start thinking (about mid-October) about their spring schedule. They will put it together themselves. They will then take it to their advisor for approval and get an EASY confirmation number so they can do it online.<br>
A student has to have advisor approval and get the conformation number until they are declared and have a specific # of credits. At that point they no longer have to get the conformation #. I believe it is somewhere around Jr. year. Son said he still had to get number this past spring but it was his last time. </p>

<p>And as far as the ratings system for the professors.....son says it's a great thing, helpful but at times can be a moot point anyway. Sometimes you just have to take a professor you don't necessarily want to work the schedule out. LOL </p>

<p>You all are so welcome......it's fun to help!!! And I can't wait to hear about all your experiences after they move in and get settled....</p>

<p>thanks for the web links!</p>