Registration - Upperclassmen

<p>Is registration closed to upperclassmen? It looks like they continue to cherry pick classes that open up for freshmen. Doesn’t seem fair if that is the case.</p>

<p>At other schools that I am familiar with, they lock out the upperclassmen while the freshmen register and then opened it up to everyone again just before classes started.</p>

<p>Registration is open to upperclassmen, although a majority of their classes are set for the fall. </p>

<p>Many times, the honors college opens additional seminars that upperclassmen can take. Their decisions to add that class could open spots in core classes for a freshman. My son, for example, may add a graduate-level class this fall, but must wait until all his paperwork for University Scholars clears.</p>

<p>Is registration only open to upperclassmen during Bama Bound sessions?</p>

<p>Momreads is correct, most of the classes are set for our returning kids. Once professors are announced from TBA, there will be some shuffling, though.</p>

<p>Actually many 100 level classes are closed to upperclassmen, so that frosh can sign up for them during bb.</p>

<p>Is there a way to tell which 100 level classes are closed to upperclassmen? Thank you.</p>

<p>I don’t think u can tell by looking. My son tried to pick an intro to philosophy class and he got a message.</p>

<p>Some upperclassmen need that 100-level class to fill in their requirements. For example, they may have taken biology and calculus as freshmen, but will take chemistry or physics as a sophomore, because they did not have room in their schedules. I would not worry about who is a freshman and who isn’t. My son had 300-level classes as a freshman. He also knew freshmen in his 300-level political science class this spring.</p>

<p>So true, momreads. There are just so many hours in a day, and there are conflicts with recitation sessions that often make sticking to the planned out curriculum impossible. While you do your best to follow the flow chart, sometimes courses that you would have liked to have taken your freshman year, have to be taken either during the summer or at least during the fall of sophomore year. And many upper level courses that you can’t put off to stay on track have prerequisites that just have to be taken, whether you’re a freshman or not. </p>

<p>As the engineering advisor told us last year at Bama Bound, it may be frustrating to you during registration, not being able to get the classes you want, but this is likely the only time this will happen. You just have to suck it up and have backup schedules on hand so you can make educated choices. </p>

<p>We filled out several grids of sample schedules for son to take with him to register, in case classes were filled or conflicts couldn’t be resolved. And of course, once his AP credit came through, he had to redo his schedule anyway, as he got credit for a class he registered for, but had to register for a class he didn’t expect to not AP out of. </p>

<p>Having a backup schedule made shifting the schedule around a lot less stressful and a lot easier to do, as he registered for his basics that he needed first, then left the unknowns more flexible.</p>

<p>Yes, sometimes an upperclassman needs a100 level class. My son had to get a waiver because they wanted to b sure that enough seats for incoming frosh.</p>