Registration

hello. i am going to be a freshman at ua this fall. i have some questions about course registration. i am not sure if i should be signing up for classes now. i heard that you are supposed to do it at bama bound, but the mybama page has a registration page. and also i was wondering if there are required classes or anything like that. can you take whatever you want pretty much?

You can’t register until you get to Bama Bound. You may find a registration page online, but if you try to access it, you’ll get a message saying you can’t yet register for classes.

And, no, there are no required classes other than freshman English and whatever may be required for your intended major. What you can or can’t’t sign up for depends on what AP or CLEP credits you have (if any) and what you want to study. Alabama does require you to take at least a few courses in different areas (humanities, social sciences, math & science, etc.), but, other than freshman English, there’s no specific requirement as to when you have to take them.

Look through the course listings, put together a couple of tentative schedules, and if you still have questions, you can ask your advisor when you get to Bama Bound.

ok thanks. do you know wher i can find the course listings?

There is a “Look Up Courses” link on the MyBama home page. You can find what’s offered for the fall semester there. As for required classes, you should be able to find that on the UA webpage. The catalog will detail the general education requirements as well as major requirements, and a lot of departments will have a Finish in Four checksheet that will list the courses you have to take. If you can’t find the requirements, post what your major is and I’m sure someone can help you find the required courses.

Do you have a major? If you do, you can find the flowchart which maps out the classes you need to take in the four years you are there. Use the search engine on the ua website and it will probably take you to what you need.

Yes, there are required classes . They’re called General Education or Core Curriculum.

So, no, you just won’t be signing up for whatever you want. you could end up with too many history classes, and not enough humanities…or no sciences and too many literature classes.

What is your major?

Use Degreeworks to help you decide which classes to take. It will list all the core requirements and course options, along with courses for your major. You can access Degreeworks from myBama on Academics page. It’s the box below the Office of Provost on the right side of the page.

@abarrie once on your MyBama page, look for the tab on the left “Academics” click on that. Next look all the way to the right of the page and look for “Degree Works Training Videos and FAQ” Click on that. I believe there may be other Videos on your MyBama page you can watch to help you understand. Welcome and Roll Tide!

thank you. my major is economics. i will look on the mybama page for required classes

i am having trouble comprehending my degree works page. there is a lot of requirements on there that says still needed. how do i know which of these classes to sign up for now? there are like 20 required classses

Are you doing economics in the business school or in arts and sciences? Do you have any AP, CLEP or dual enrollment credits? What’s your math placement?

Here’s a link to a 4 year plan for someone who is majoring in Econ through the business school and who doesn’t yet have credit for any of the requirements. https://www.ua.edu/academics/majors/economics