Regular Decision 2021 Discussion/Results Thread

It does not say what major. Only that you are accepted. In prior years VT stated that those who are accepted on the February 20th date have been accepted to their first choice major. S applied January 8th. Transcripts and SAT received on January 16th.

Color me highly unimpressed by this whole process! I imagine we didn’t help the server issue by refreshing to look for the decision that wasn’t there.

I got in with a 3.5 do not let anyone doubt your abilities to go where you want! Good luck to all my future Hokies!

@newlion Same for me; I believe if you applied to engineering and it says offered admission, you got into engineering.

@tennis24601 A previous poster said they got into Pamplin today with a 4.0.

Well I got in for engineering. So I’m new to this so this is what’s up with me
ACT composite: 28 (Math 32, English 27 (I think?? Maybe a 28 but I don’t remember) reading 26 science 25)

GPA: 88.04 weighted GPA (I go to a very hard 1st tier private school where there is barely a weight for AP’s and honors)

Will have done 3 AP’s by the time I graduate (AP Physics (11) AP Calc AB (12) AP Chem (12) )

I took regular calc last year to prepare for AP this year (very well worth jt, i highly recommend) and I am also taking stat for fun

I play the harp, I sing in a choir, and I’ve done varsity swimming for 4 years.

I live in Maryland and I’m a white female.

BUT… IDK WHERE I AM GOING THO BC IM TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN PENN STATE (UP) AND HERE BC THOSE WERE MY TOP SCHOOLS. OKAY SEE YA AND GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

@vacollegemom4 DS got into GMU, VCU, and Ole Miss. Still waiting for UofSC and VT. How about you?

@SCLADY12 @lopeztlo7 We are all in the same boat! More waiting for VT and USC. So frustrating. DS very upset.

I’m also curious if anyone received rejections. DS only applied for one major so if he didn’t get that, VT is out. He saw no point in choosing a second major when he knows what he wants. The wait continues…

@sbgal2011 and @SCLADY12 This has been one rough college season! DS is in at James Madison, Catholic and another smaller Catholic school. Waiting to hear from a few other private schools (reaches). One of my son’s classmates, who I think has a little higher gpa, also didn’t hear back today from VT (criminal justice) but did get accepted to GMU today.

I’m exhausted by this process! Looking forward to the day we send in a deposit and it’s finally over!

@tennis24601 @vacollegemom4 It does not explicitly tell me I got into Pamplin. But everyone is saying that first choice acceptances are released today and Pamplin was my first choice. Sorry about the confusion and good luck!

@crunge17 Congratulations! I think you’re right about 1st choices being released today.

That is music to my ears! And thank you! @vacollegemom4

My first post, but long time lurker. My S was accepted last night to his 2nd choice major, Biological Sciences, which worked out for him because he realized after sending in his app that engineering may not be the best fit for him math wise. He is from MD, had a 31ACT (only 26 math score) has a unweighted 4.0 and has to be over 4.5 weighted. Every class he’s ever taken has been a core subject honors or ap level…except religion. So super rigorous course load. Best of luck to everyone!!! Hope this helped!

Does anyone with experience know if it is possible to hear later and still get first choice major. Do we have to assume my son didn’t get his first choice major if he has to wait til March? Seems kinda crazy that this would be the case… Please advise if you have experience with past VT admissions. He applied for computational modeling and data analytics… Anyone else hear and get into this major?

The only majors that require a second choice are engineering, architecture, interior design and industrial design. why is everyone confused about whether or not they got their “first choice” major when they only applied to one major?

@Robomom24 24 you mixing terminology. your son was admitted to his first and only choice that he put on his Virginia Tech application.

Son was accepted to Pamplin Business school on 2/20. OOS, ACT 35. Older brother is a happy Freshman Engineering Major at Virginia Tech.

Decision: Accepted - Business Information Technology

Out of Sate

Objective:

• SAT: 1160 (superscore) Math- 590 and CR: 570 (yes these SAT Scores are subpar, I am not great at standardized test taking)
  • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): no idea

*Weighted GPA (out of 4.0): Currently, 3.845, but applied with barely a 3.8

• Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): No Rank
  • AP (place score in parenthesis): Did too poorly in AP U.S. History to send scores
  • IB (place score in parenthesis): Didn't take any
  • Senior Year Course Load: AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, Calculus I, Calculus II, English Honors 12, Global Relations Honors, and Orchestra every other day for the entire year
  • Extracurriculars: JV Softball Team, Homeroom Representative, JV Softball Captain, National Honor Society General Member, Key Club General Member, Student Council General Member, String Ensemble, mentioned first chair cellist freshman year, soloist freshman year
  • Job/Work Experience: Work as a produce associate at Giant
  • Volunteer/Community service: Softball fundraiser, Key Club, National Honor Society, iRun 4 Life 3k sweeper
  • Personal Statement: I did all 3. Talked about how I bounced back from messing up on my solo and doing so much better doing adjudication, hardest part of being a teenager, and an essay of my choice (how I helped my friend to become the 4th captain of the softball team because she wasn't picked, and it was out 3rd year being on the team)
  • State (if domestic applicant): Pennsylvania
  • School Type: Public
  • Ethnicity: Asian
  • Income Bracket: Lower Middle Class
  • Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.): First generation student

Reflection

• Strengths: Essays, Leadership, Extracurriculars
  • Weaknesses: GPA and SAT (emphasis on SAT)
  • Schools were you accepted/waitlisted to? Penn State University Main Campus, Wentworth Institute of Technology, George Mason. Umass Amherst, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Florida Tech
  • Schools you were rejected from? Northeastern University and University of Maryland
  • Schools you are waiting for? Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Bentley University

So those who say their child was accepted to a certain major or Pamplin Business school, does it specifically say that anywhere? My son had Engineering as his first choice - he doesn’t remember if he had a 2nd choice (he would only go there for engineering), but above @undercover007 says engineering does require a 2nd choice, so I assume he put one. Since his just says offered admission, can we be certain that it is for an Engineering major? @Robomom24 you said your S was accepted to his 2nd choice major - did it say that major on your decision?

OK, I just called VA Tech admissions to be sure. She told me that it would state otherwise if you were admitted for something other than your first choice major. She said all of the offers they sent out yesterday were for first choice majors.

Question… was anyone denied admission or waitlisted this round?

Son was accepted!

GPA was 4.875 ( 4.96 now)1220 SAT (670 math) OOS, Robotics, Ham radio, Eagle scout , Varsity CC for 4 years… Symphonic and marching band… Loads more…