Rent prices for young grads

Just another thing he’s got going for him ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If you want to feel happier by comparing with Manhattan, let me also say that NYC has a 4% city tax on gross income. This is apart from the state income tax.

1 Like

Maybe spin off a separate thread to discuss rents?

1 Like

Is there a particular reason your ds does not want a roommate?

My ds always had a roommate (and later housemates) when he lived in L.A.

1 Like

Feels way too low to me right after college for a kid without loans to pay. Most college graduates (at least in the high income professions we are discussing) should see rapid increases in salary, I got at least 15% pa my first 4 years out of college. S thinks he may get as much 15% at Christmas (6 months after starting) and another similar rise next summer if he gets promoted.

He’s paying 36% of gross income (about 45% of net), which is identical to what I paid for my first apartment. It’s tight the first few months, but in a year that will be much less. It also forces you not to change your style of living too much from college days, which makes it easier to save future pay rises.

2 Likes

I remember that first raise… and my colleagues (we were in a training program “class” so were all on the same timetable) were discussing what they were going to do with the extra cash. Every single one of them was focused on restaurant/bar/partying, with a few determined to upgrade their wardrobe. I kept quiet because I knew that contributing to an IRA would be seen as “privileged” even though I clearly came from more modest circumstances than many of them (and certainly had a more modest lifestyle at that point).

Agree that living like a college student for a few years allows you to get ahead of the curve financially!!! And makes that first apartment with no roommates (even if it takes you until age 30 to get there) that much more special. And certainly makes that first “real vacation” super special, knowing how hard you worked for it!!!

I think it needs to fit into investment and life goals. That percentage (36%) feels high to me. Like @blossom did, our son works hard to maximize his savings. He values experiential things like travel and food, but always prioritizes savings first.

1 Like

Yes, the benchmarks for buying a house are usually based on having a family to support. What obligations does a new graduate with no dependents really have to spend money on? Hence the focus on partying/travel/clothes that you mentioned.

This is also the time to be putting in the hours to ensure that career progression and the associated rapid increase in salary will be forthcoming. Much easier (or at least better) to spend those extra hours at work now rather than when you have a spouse and young children at home.

However if he gets the expected rises it will be 27% in 12 months time (and it excludes bonus which is what he’s expecting to save).

I think the key question is whether the salary is very progressive (and it’s relative certain what happens), or if it’s a job where rises are simply based on inflation unless/until you get promoted (without much certainty there). The classic case of the former would be a big firm lawyer where you know what year 1, 2, 3 etc pay will be (and you work so hard you have no time to spend any money, so getting a nice apartment close to work seems like the obvious thing to do).

This is off topic so I will not discuss but I thought I’d share a report on rents that I found interesting.

I am pleasantly surprised how mature young adults are these days. They start saving for house and retirement from the very first paycheck

10 Likes

Agreed! My son is putting money into a deferred compensation plan, with employer match, on top of the pension offered.

2 Likes

He hasn’t been able to find a place to share with friends. Each listing, they’ve not been chosen. I don’t think a landlord would want to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house to a bunch of single guys with dogs if there’s an option. He rented a one bedroom and isn’t interested in sharing a bedroom with one of his friends.

1 Like

If he’s like our S he’s just tired after having roommates for 4-5 years in dorm rooms. Can’t blame him.

4 Likes

This is the truth. Plus, he has a dog. I don’t think any of his friends would want to share a bedroom with him and his dog :joy:

1 Like

During the pandemic, it’s better for both of my kids to have roommates. Without these roommates they would be very isolated.

1 Like

D has lived in a house with about 5 other males and most recently the fiancée of their landlord. Each has own bedroom and they each pay about $1000 and live in Fontana,CA in landlord’s new house (they all got tired of living in a dive together so the guy holdng best job took plunge and bought a house and they all moved in to be his tenants, subsidizing his mortgage). D has lived with this group for several years and seems pretty content.

3 Likes

Boston studios are more like $2600+. One bedrooms are not affordable for most. Rents have increased in the suburbs and exurbs as well. Work from homers, airbnb’s, and delayed home buying are all factors.

It isn’t just affecting young people. It’s very tough on retired folks who live on fixed incomes.

As for kids being “mature” and saving for retirement, that’s pretty tough with rents as high as they are. I think in cities like NY. Boston and SF, you would have to have a pretty high salary to save.

In these competitive markets, a dog is a real issue for getting a rental.

2 Likes

The dog kills me. I don’t really want an extra dog living at my house. It hasn’t been a surprise that’s it’s complicated renting a place. I’m glad my son has found a rental, even at $2,300 a month.

3 Likes

$2300 is decent for one bedroom.