Reputation?

I was recently accepted to Miami and am deciding between the U, Villanova and Lehigh. I’m really striving for that mix of academics, school spirit and the ability to well, have a lot fun! I’m very serious about my academics, don’t get me wrong, but I also want to enjoy the whole college experience. In terms of prestige, does Miami rank up there with Nova and Lehigh? From many rankings I’ve looked at, it’s clear that it does, but many of my peers and parents view it as a “party school” that most people don’t take seriously. Will a degree from Miami hold just as much as one from the other schools I mentioned before when it comes to finding a job after college?

P.S. I’m going in undecided, so it wouldn’t really matter if one school is better at engineering/business/communications etc.

Admittedly, I am not an expert on colleges, I have many questions of my own very often. I CAN tell you however you should go where you feel most comfortable. It’s what you do once you are there that really matters, especially since you don’t know your major and they are all great choices. I know this doesn’t answer your question but I hope it helps.

Historically (think the 1970s though the 1990s), Miami had quite the reputation as a party school, though it started out as anything but. The school really expanded in the post-WWII era as thousands of returning veterans on the GI bill sought an education, and the school went downhill after the Cuban crime wave hit the Miami metro. However, Miami has experienced a massive resurgence as of the early 2000s–if you walk down Brickell Avenue, you’ll notice that they’re almost totally rebuilding the city. I’ve not seen a city lately that has had such a humungous amount of skyscraper projects in the works at the same time. The university is tied with the city, and so long as the city is successful, the university has shown itself to be, as well. Your friends might not take the school seriously because they’re likely reflecting the opinion of their parents, but those in the city of Miami and elsewhere in Florida surely do.

To echo @Halicarnassus‌, The idea that UMiami is a party school is one that started in the 70’s and is perpetuated by people from that era (eg. our parents) Two years ago when I was deciding where to go, the idea that Miami was a “party school” was a serious concern that I had because, being from the north east, when I told people I was thinking about Miami, that was almost always the first comment I got. But that comment also came from people who were in college in the 70’s-90’s and who were not experts on the prestige of colleges today. Today, Miami has one of the best Marine Science schools in the country. It is ranked in the top 10 for nursing and premed. The Frost school of music is constantly ranked highly. UM as a whole is considered a top research institution.

But there is more to consider. Remember that almost every college in the country can be a “party school” if you want it to be. I have friends who go to Villanova and my mother is a graduate of Lehigh. Both schools have their share of “social activities”. What is important are the opportunities and resources afforded to you at each school. What I ended up doing to decide was I made a list of the opportunities at the schools I was considering. And while I can’t speak for Lehigh or Villanova, I can tell you about some of the opportunities at UM.

You said you are undecided so I will try to tackle this from all areas. If you are interested in science, Miami is doing leading research in almost any field you can think of. We have professors leading research groups in every department. And best of all, because Miami only has about 5000 graduate students, professors are always looking for undergraduates to do research. And I don’t mean just cleaning beakers but doing real meaningful research. If you are interested in business, Miami has a great business school. While I can’t speak on the specifics, I do know there is a lot of opportunity for internships here because Miami is such a commercial city. If you have any interest in working with businesses in the music industry, banking industry, Latin American international trade, or arrt, and design, Miami is a great choice.

So I’d make a list of what each school has to offer. And then, decide where you think you would fit best. Those two factors should help you make your decision. Good luck!