Residency comes next

<p>iwbb,
D. mentioned that 60+ is a low number. Many apply to every program, about 110 of them.
People who apply to 20 programs must have something of 280 for Step 1. I do not know how high it can go and almost nobody shares. D. knows score of only one more person in her class.</p>

1 Like

<p>
to continue
it does not result in many interviews at all
they consider to be lucky to have about 10 interviews.</p>

<p>D is applying to just above 20 programs and I can guarantee that she got nowhere near 280 on her boards. :o Granted, she is applying in a specialty that is considered less competitive but the more highly ranked programs in any specialty are still tough to get into. As someone who wants an academic component to her future career, she hopes to be considered by those programs (though the reputed style of the program matters just as much). </p>

<p>I have stayed out of her process for the most part but when she spoke to me about the schools on her list it was obvious that, as when she applied to med school, her advisor played a part in helping her fine tune and select programs. Let the interviews begin. What a ride.</p>

<p>^We got the list of higher ranked programs, but I do not think that D. will care much about it. She was advised to apply in Midwest becasue of her background and most likely she will follow this advice.
They all have slightly different final goals, but it is nice to hear about other people application process despite of differences.</p>

<p>Miami,</p>

<p>60+ is definitely high. Maybe not at your D’s school, but it is at mine - and I can assure you that the majority of our students are not getting 280. People don’t talk about it too much but our school does give a survey at the end of the year and then other students can see the results. Here is the % of students saying they applied to more than 30 programs in a given specialty (the answer choices were <5, 5-10, 10-20, 20-30, >30). You will see that it ranges from 0 to 100% of applicants over the last few years depending on the specialty.</p>

<p>Anesthesia 12.5%
Derm 55.6%
EM 44.4%
Family Med 0.0%
IM 7.7%
Neuro 16.7%
Neurosurg 100.0%
OB/GYN 20.0%
Optho 80.0%
Ortho 100.0%
Path 0.0%
Plastics 100.0%
Psych 0.0%
Rads 61.5%
Rad-Onc 0.0%
Surgery 58.8%
Urology 87.5%</p>

<p>Great! <insert sarcasm="" emoticon="" here=""></insert></p>

<p>D1 is applying to one of the specialties where 100% of the applicants apply to >30 schools. </p>

<p>Maybe I ought to take out that home equity loan after all
</p>

<p>"they applied to more than 30 "
-I do not want to argue, I have no background whatsoever. When I asked D. if she knows how many programs people are applying, she told me what I told you here.
However, saying theat certain % has applied to more than 30 is just not enough. Maybe stating that people have applied to more than 30 actually means more than 60 in some specialties? More than 60 still belongs in a group of more than 30, right?</p>

<p>WOWMom,</p>

<p>: rolleyes : = :rolleyes:</p>

<p>I use that one quite a bit!</p>

<p>I feel like a prior poster mention applying to around 45 in radiology, I honestly don’t recall if he said 45 apps or 45 interviews!</p>

<p>WOWmom- she has many months of MS3 to change her mind ;)</p>

<p>I have seen many people on SDN in assorted specialties applying to 30-45-60-100 programs. Anyone who is DO aiming for MD seems to apply to all 100+ programs, but even MD people are often applying to 45+, or so they say.</p>

<p>After I looked closer to your list, IWBB, it seems that D. might be just right. So many specialties are applying to more than 30, and who knows what that actually means, since as I said “more than 60” also means “more than 30”</p>

<p>[Trophy</a> Wife Season 1 Episode 4 | Full TV Episode Online - WATCHABC.com](<a href=“http://watchabc.go.com/trophy-wife/SH55300833/VDKA0_wirxpkzw/the-breakup]Trophy”>http://watchabc.go.com/trophy-wife/SH55300833/VDKA0_wirxpkzw/the-breakup)</p>

<p>About 1.14 minutes in, the mom says if you don’t do well you might become a CPA or god forbid a dermatologist
</p>

<p>Here is Median Number Applications by specialty. This is NO SDN or other type of rumors. This is statistical data.
Keep in mind that it is Median, meanning that half applied to more than listed and half applied to less than listed. </p>

<p>Anesthesiology 24
Dermatology 66
Radiology 36
Emerg Med 26
Family Med 12
Gen Surg 31
Internal Med 18
Med/Peds 16
Neurology 17
OB/Gyn 25
Ortho 49
Otolaryngology 45
Pathology 16
Pediatrics 17
PMR 20
Plastic Surgery 42.5
Psychiatry 15
Rad Oncology 43</p>

<p>Sorry, did not mention that this was “U.S. Seniors 2009 – AAMC Data”</p>

1 Like

<p>I know that more than 30 includes 60, but you said 60 is considered low. I don’t think you can say 60 is on the low end for a specialty like IM where over 90% of the kids from my school apply to less than 30 schools, or FM or Psych where ALL the kids applied to less than 30.</p>

<p>I just don’t think it’s fair to ignore my statement that it’s specialty and person dependent and call 60 “low” because that’s what your daughter said when half of Rads applicants nationwide are applying to fewer than 36, or half of OB/GYNs are applying to fewer than 25. I know it’s something we go back and forth on a lot but your daughter’s experiences (or her classmates) are not always so generalizable to everyone. Even Plastics and and Ortho have half of their applicants applying to fewer than 50.</p>

<p>Although I have been a regular follower on CC and SDN for years, this is my first post in 6/7 years, so I apologize for any etiquette errors. I have been reading over this thread and based on my S experiences (he is a first year resident in Internal Med (IM)), I offer some random thoughts on your and your D/S’s upcoming months.</p>

<p>As to carrying your phone at all times, it was not necessary. My S had 12 interviews. Every interview offer came via email. He was always given a variety of dates. Although the offers came with a request to respond by a certain deadline, none of them required an immediate, stop what you are doing and respond now kind of response. (As a note as the interview season moved forward and more offers to interview came in, the deadlines to respond and the number of potential interview days did decrease). However, even with later offers, he always had a couple of days to think about which date to interview. In addition as I understood it, attending or senior residents at my S’s school were quite aware of the plight of fourth year students and their residency stresses and would not have dinged a student if a true emergency situation regarding scheduling an interview requiring an immediate response arose. </p>

<p>If anything, the most immediate response for my S was to call me as I acted as his travel agent. At least I could get flight schedules and then let him decide which days he thought would work out for him. Keep in mind that generally interviews came with dinner or cocktail hours (meet and greet current residents) either the evening before the interview or the evening after the day’s interview. So I would have to build flight schedules around these events as well. Whether or not attending them is necessary is debatable, but at one AM interview with a program director (PD), she was able to reference (positively, yeah!) a document she had received about my S from the previous night’s dinner.</p>

<p>Other points: D/S should if possible schedule an interview(s) early at a place you would never rank. The purpose is just to get practice. Interviewing is not a hard wired, but a learned skill. </p>

<p>Second – balancing the spacing of the interviews v number of interviews. Your D/S may NOT want to schedule interviews one right after another. I understand that if they go to school in the Midwest and have 3 interviews in California, D/S may want to bang them out one, two, three because of time and cost. But the interviews are extremely important. At one interview, a PD indicated that his program develops an initial rank list prior to the interview (a student is either ranked A, B or C (top to bottom)). Then they have a group meeting (usually after every week’s interviews) with everyone (i.e. attending, senior, junior residents) who participated in interview process. They then discuss each interviewee and may move them up or down on the list depending on the comments. Some are moved to the “D” column, meaning DO NOT rank. My S reported kid’s texting and nodding off while the PD was giving an overview of the program. Since an interview typically goes from approx. 8AM to 3/4PM, D/S has to be “ON” the entire time as D/S is being watched by everybody (e.g. MDs, secretaries, nurses, etc). It’s just hard to be “ON” day after day especially when there is traveling, sleeping in hotels, time zone changes, etc. involved.</p>

<p>D/S really wants to match in main match, not SOAP. This past year was hardest ever to match. Existing schools and new schools are increasing the numbers of graduates, but the number of residency spots remains very static. On one interview day, the PD told the 10 students there that day that they had received just under 2000 applications, had extended interview offers to 180, to fill the 12 IM intern spots available. (This number of 12 has been pretty constant for years.) </p>

<p>I wish your D/S’ s well. The majority of my S’s classmates got one of their top picks, but some did not get anywhere near their top picks and one did match (although problems with matching seemed to be related to when two students were trying to couples match.)</p>

<p>Iwbb,
Your statement that “Plastics and Ortho have half of their applicants applying to fewer than 50.” means that half of their applicants applying to more than 50. Here, YOU said it, not me. Smile!!!</p>

<p>Nice post jugulator. </p>

<p>Is this particular IM program highly rated?<br>
Any idea how many of the 2000 are foreign medical graduates?</p>

<p>D. is not concerned with getting her top pick, it is nice, but it would be just an icing on the cake. The concern is to get one spot, single spot will make her and us very happy. She is not into this at all rihgt now, she has many months of MS3. She is paying attention whenever she hears anything though.</p>

<p>Well stated JUG.</p>

<p>On the phone thing, yes it is email invites, hence carrying the smart phone and yes, sometimes it is merely the convenience of picking a good date though I have read about people not getting any spot at all. For one site, DD is on a waitlist for a spot and no open spots are available that don’t conflict with other already scheduled interviews.</p>

<p>Regarding MS4 rotations, the student has to leave some time open Oct-Jan, depending on the specialty. DD is going to be struggling to get away to some of her interviews as she has a rotation for part of them.</p>