Residency comes next

Looking forward to Friday news! Congrats!

1 Like

My friendā€™s daughter, who is an FMG who did Caribbean med school, matched! Talk about against the odds, but if I were one of the programs that was ok with FMGs/Caribbean and she was one of the applicants, I would choose her, too. :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m finding it interesting to look at the residency numbers filled vs not on the match site (not places, but just numbers/regions). One can see how internal medicine (11,298 matched, 590 open for SOAP) and family medicine (4823/351) arenā€™t as competitive - or general surgery (2705/529). Regarding the last one, I thought surgery was competitive? Other surgery options have 0 or single digit openings. Why is general surgery different? Is it because they have fewer slots?

Daughter matched yesterday! now is Friday.

3 Likes

Excellent! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:for Friday!

@Creekland

If you look at the NRMP data, there were only 5 unfilled categorical general surgery positions that went into SOAP last yearā€“and all of those filled; OTOH, preliminary general surgery had 580 open positions before SOAPā€“and only 430 of those filled.

See pp. 45-46

Preliminary general surgery positions are for PGY1 ONLY and do not lead to a full residency. (Nor medical license eligibility in most states.) Prelim surgery is a one year, dead end job.

Youā€™re mixing apples and oranges.

NRMP reports that there were 1536 (categorical) general surgery positions offered in the Match and 2183 applicants for those positions Thatā€™s a ratio of 1.43 applicants (MD, DO and IMG) per open categorical surgery position. So Iā€™d say surgery is fairly competitiveā€“though not insanely so.

See: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MM_Results_and-Data_2020-1.pdf

Highest ratio of applicants per open positions:
Neurosurgery (1.65), Vascular surgery (1.63), Plastic surgery (1.57), General surgery (1.42), ENT (1.41), Orthopedic surgery (1.39), Psychiatry (1.34), OB/GYN (1.31), Dermatology (1.29)ā€¦

And @somemom Congrats to your friendā€™s daughter. She beat the odds!

3 Likes

My heart goes out to someoneā€™s family and friends out there. Thereā€™s a note on the unofficial neuro board from someone saying an unmatched student from their school committed suicide. I donā€™t know which school or what type.

IMO thereā€™s way too much pressure on folks, plus if debt or lifelong dreams were involved, I can only imagine what it must be like. I wish I could give people hugs and let them know there is life beyond disappointment.

2 Likes

Very unfortunate.

Lot of residents are also depressed and many start medication to prevent suicidal thoughts.

($12.99 rental on Amazon or Vimeo On Demand)

Suicide is one of the leading causes of death among residents. Between 2000 and 2014, an average of 25 US medical residents killed themselves every year.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) reports that 23 percent of interns (first-year residents) have suicidal thoughts.

Attending physicians kill themselves at rate of more than 1 per day. (400 annually)

Best wishes to all tomorrow.

2 Likes

Weā€™re setting up our party room as I type - well, the artistic members of our family are. I went to the grocery store to buy our rack of lamb dinner. Thatā€™s more of my forte.

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:for everyone matching tomorrow!

2 Likes

All good wishes for everyone matching tomorrow!

1 Like

If anyone suspects any physician is feeling vulnerable to suicidal thoughts or is heading that way, check out PamelaWible.com; she is a physician with a passion for preventing physician suicide. She actually tells anyone who finds her site, if they are feeling suicidal, to call her any time, day or night, she will help. :broken_heart:

6 Likes

Havenā€™t looked on this thread for a while. My son did find out that he matched on Monday! Less then 2 hours to go. All his choices are so awesome Iā€™m not worried. Anywhere he ends up will be fabulous

4 Likes

Our online event starts nowā€¦ see everyone on the other side! Best wishes to allā€¦

1 Like

Good luck all and hope for great outcomes!

2 Likes

Got his first choice!

5 Likes

so finally you will be changing your handle name to momnotworried today! GL

2 Likes

Daughter matched to her 2nd choice with tears (Happy of course). Time to start exploration!

5 Likes