Residency, from UC perspective

So my D is attending school on the East Coast and will graduate in 2 years. Private school. She went to HS and lived all her life in Colorado. After she graduated from HS almost 2 years ago, her mother and I got married and she (the mother) moved to California. D has her CA drivers license and files taxes in California even though she’s here only like 1 or 2 weeks out of the year. We do count her as a dependent on our taxes.

She’s going to apply to law school at one of the UCs, in the next 18 months. For tuition purposes, is she considered in-state? It seems like a gray area since she physically doesn’t live here and I’ve heard that schools sometimes default back to where they went to in HS for residency.

I agree a grey area since she has not lived in-state for at least 365 consecutive days, but she has a CA drivers license and files taxes. I would call one of her target UC’s and see what they say about her circumstances. Will she be 24 or older by the time she applies? If so, then they makes her an independent and rules may change based on that.

https://www.ucop.edu/residency/10-things-grads.html

She’ll be 21 when she applies.
Its been pointed out to me that in-state versus OOS rates are negligible. UCB difference for tuition seems to be around $3K and its about the same difference at UCLA and UCI.

Yes, I just looked at the UCLA tution rates for their law school which is quite different than Undergrad UC tuiton rates for in-state vs. OOS. It is nice to learn something new every day and best of luck to your D.

California Resident: $45,657.50
Non-Resident: $52,151.50
Health insurance: $3,816.28*